QueryTracker Community
December 19, 2018, 03:48:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some rules first...  (Read 53365 times)
MaryL

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 07:07:17 AM »

Thanks, MaryL, and I really love your cover. Smiley  And you're right, I definitely shouldn't make generalizations, as I have encountered MANY incredible folks over there who continuously brighten my day.  For the most part, AW has been a fantastic resource; there have just been a few bad apples, but I shouldn't let that bring down the whole ship for me.  (Think I wrote that post in a fit of fury over one particular user's comments lately!)   embarrassed2

Oh, I'm totally with you!  I've seen some pack-mentality type behavior over there and on other sites too. We're a little lower key--that small town feel.   wink2  Glad you are here.

I write for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing.
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marylindsey.com  and  http://www.marissaclarke.com
LisaAnn

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »

Thanks so much, MaryL...  Me too!  Grin

-Lisa Ann O'Kane

ESSENCE (June '14, Strange Chemistry)
Represented by Hannah Bowman of Liza Dawson Associates

Blog: www.KickedCorneredBittenChased.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LisaAnnOKane
CSMward

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »

This is not a forum that welcomes posts by anyone taking pride in being an "S.O.B" and deliberately posting query reviews in that spirit.

That's quite true (although occasionally a hint of milquetoastism does rear its timid head.) However, for full frontal-assault arrogance and confidence-shredding ugliness one need look no further than Absolute Write.   Smiley

~A~

I love it! Milquetoast! I learned a new word! Thanks, from a fellow logophile.
shadowwalker

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »

One reason I left AW was because I dared express the opinion that critiques could be tactful and still get the point across. Don't understand why that elicited so many "speshful flower" remarks... Glad to know this is a constructive crit arena.  clap

“I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are.” - Milton Berle

Boycott Amazon
LateToTheParty

Stolen? If it's not nailed down, it's mine.

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »

@Shadowwalker, (cool tag) I'm so glad I saw your comment in addition to LisaAnn's. AW is on my list of to-dos. I happened to land here first, (thank Oprah). I have a low BS threshold and work too hard at finding time to write without dealing with abusive 12-year-olds.

@LisaAnn, thanks for sharing your experience. BTW, I LOVE birds and your picture is AWESOME!

Karma and perserverance to you both.  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:54:56 AM by LateToTheParty » Logged

Critiques should spur growth and improvement. Neither is painless.

I don't do personal attacks, defense/debate of work or grudges.

Remember, my comment's worth exactly what you paid for it. Use it, ignore it or PM-me and I'll remove it. 

Buona fortuna!
LisaAnn

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »

Thanks, LateToTheParty!  Grin

-Lisa Ann O'Kane

ESSENCE (June '14, Strange Chemistry)
Represented by Hannah Bowman of Liza Dawson Associates

Blog: www.KickedCorneredBittenChased.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LisaAnnOKane
Idesi

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »

Aiala, you are obviously prescient and psychic.   Smiley  I ended up at QueryTracker on the recommendation of a friend after my posted query was savaged on AW.  If only I'd come here first.  Better late than never. 

Welcome to QT, Pandysmum, and Karma for good luck!

I'm not psychic at all, just AW-scarred. (You know, like sperm whales bear the sucker marks from encounters with giant squids.) But I'm sure you'll find the ambiance here agreeable and supportive.   Smiley

~A~   

It has it's place, but I read through successful queries on so many different blogs and wonder how they'd shred it. There's such a thing as doubting yourself *too* much and it's sometimes better (for pitches, not for books) to mimic successes. It's good to get some overall feedback on whether something at least makes sense or not but there's the risk of getting caught up in so many revisions that you never end up just trying to send something out.
Brachistochrone
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 01:27:21 AM »

. . .  There's such a thing as doubting yourself *too* much and it's sometimes better (for pitches, not for books) to mimic successes. It's good to get some overall feedback on whether something at least makes sense or not but there's the risk of getting caught up in so many revisions that you never end up just trying to send something out.

There does come a point when an author who has posted a query for advice just has to decide that the query is good enough to go with.

Those who critique don't know the book as well as the author -- events up ahead, ways various characters move or are affected by those events, how the book ends, the overall feel of the narrative. Even so, you can still get very helpful advice on the query as a business letter whose main purpose is to entice someone to want to read more of that novel. In that sense, readers of the query are in the same shoes as an agent hearing about your book for the first time.

So, at some point, you combine that with whether the query represents your book fairly well, and run with it.

I've seen a few writers get exasperated with a new poster coming on board with new comments about problems with the query, just as the author and other posters have come to a consensus that the query's now good to go. Unless the writer agrees with the new poster, all that's needed is a thanks for that person's time and comments, but you're ready to start submitting the query as is and see how it goes.

Another option is to lock the thread to additional comments if that makes it easier to just start submitting.

I like your comment about positive examples as models, what works, not just what doesn't work.
munley
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 07:32:38 AM »

Just noticed that this thread has been read more than 22,000 times. Wow!
adr90

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 04:28:23 AM »

AW is really brutal?

Ha, and I thought agentqueryconnect was harsh. Super helpful and constructive, but a bit harsh at times.
erictheread

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »

Recently joined the site and posted my query.  33 people have looked at it but no comments.  Aside from commenting on other queries, what do I need to do to get feedback?
Munley

Mr. Fluff -- from the SPCA

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »

Hi,
On this holiday weekend, responses to posts probably won't be many. Guests can read all of the posts but can't respond unless they become members, so it's possible that guest account for many of those 33 who've read your post.

You might want to introduce yourself on the thread called "Welcome New Users" in the meantime. Anyway, welcome.
gckatz

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »

I comment on most of the queries eventually, but if you feel like I might have missed something, you can always yell at me directly.

Wallis

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »

I've been trying to join AgentQuery connect for most of a year, but they apparently haven't realized that their captcha is out of date and won't let anyone new register. Either that or 2 of my browsers have some serious problems!

I joined AW with a couple of questions, and oh my word! What a load of irrelevant, sometimes rude replies! Now I'm just trying to figure out how to delete my account there because honestly I like you folks a lot better.  Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: