Author Topic: How many agents do you query at once?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline AKAPirateQueen

How many agents do you query at once?
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:40:43 PM »
Hi,

Here come a bunch of questions, any guidance would be most welcome!

(Background: I am new in town--been a writer all my life, sending out my first book query. It's a memoir, and I have a draft,  proposal and query letter as well as a list of eight agents to start with, mostly personal contacts).

1. How many agents do you query simultaneously? I sent out three queries yesterday, got two requests for the proposal and one for the ms. Do I stop there and wait for feedback, or keep going? These first agents were not my "a" list, so maybe their feedback might help strengthen the work before I pitch the big kahunas.

2. Can you query more than one agent at the same agency, or is this tacky?

3. How do you identify agents who might do a good job with your work? Can you find the name of agents for writers you admire?

4. Any other general advice to a newbie?

Thank you!

Offline bodwen

Re: How many agents do you query at once?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »

1. How many agents do you query simultaneously? I sent out three queries yesterday, got two requests for the proposal and one for the ms. Do I stop there and wait for feedback, or keep going? These first agents were not my "a" list, so maybe their feedback might help strengthen the work before I pitch the big kahunas.

As many as you can handle.  Keep pitching.

2. Can you query more than one agent at the same agency, or is this tacky?

It's beyond tacky.  All of the agents I've heard say this is a dealbreaker since you are forcing the agency to compete with itself.  It's like dating two brothers.  As soon as they find out, they'll both drop you since they have to work together.

That's not to say that you can't query one after you've been rejected by the other.

3. How do you identify agents who might do a good job with your work? Can you find the name of agents for writers you admire?

There is a "who-reps-who page" in QT.

4. Any other general advice to a newbie?

Tons.  The best thing I can say is not to take rejection to heart.

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »
hi AKA - I'd wait to get some responses (as you mentioned) and maybe tweak your next batch based on the prior agents' comments.  Good luck.  Karma for posting.
NOOKS & GRANNIES - quirky paranormal
GATSBY DELANEY - 7TH GRADE IMPRESARIO - MG
THIS AIN'T NO COWBOY MOVIE -  YA
BROGWIN FRAYNEY AND HOW HE NEARLY SAVED A KINGDOM - MG
DEATH AT THE DRIVE-IN - Fiction - Published - available on Amazon
MOTORCYCLE BABIES - YA
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE - fiction

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »
By the way, PirateQueen, congratulations. Three requests on three queries is practically unheard of. It's not unusual for writers to query 20-30 agents before getting a request, 100 before securing representation.