Author Topic: Re-writes??  (Read 11445 times)

Offline Abbey

Re: Re-writes??
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 11:10:48 PM »
That whole thing with the agent sending the ms back to you was odd. Didn't they have to pay for that?

Nope - that's the thing I'm a bit miffed at - I'm the one who paid for the ms. to go both ways (SASE).  Since I've now sent the entire manuscript to her twice (at her request), it's cost me about $60, total.  And apparently, she wants me to send it AGAIN.
   :o
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:14:41 PM by Abbey »
The unexamined life is not worth living. --Socrates

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 11:27:28 PM »
I don't know if she specifically requested that you send an SASE big enough for the entire ms, but when I send out fulls, I only send a regular SASE envelope for their response because frankly, it is cheaper to buy a new ink cartridge and reprint the ms then to mail it with a full SASE - especially if you are going to be mailing it back and forth like this. 
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline Abbey

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 12:02:43 AM »
when I send out fulls, I only send a regular SASE envelope for their response because frankly, it is cheaper to buy a new ink cartridge and reprint the ms then to mail it with a full SASE  

So does that mean if they decide to reject, they just dispose of it?  I haven't done it this way before...sounds like your way is much easier (and less expensive, lol)...

Offline Abbey

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 12:32:42 AM »
Exactly so, although they use the euphemism "recycle", presumably to lessen the painful image of dumping your manuscript down the hallway incinerator chute.  :'(

:lol:

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 08:17:41 AM »
Yes, they will just dispose of it - and it is easier, for me at least.  Besides, I would probably be reprinting in any case as I'd want a clean, new copy to send.   ;)
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline Dan_Rice

• Disce Pati
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 11:43:55 AM »
Good luck with this serial buzz-killer, Abbey. I wish I could be encouraging about the outcome, but I just came off a very frustrating experience with an agent who called me up after reading the full ms and said the novel could sell. Then she sent the ms back with lots of handwritten notes in it and some more general comments, and I took two months to do the revision.

After another two months, she rejected the book with comments that bore no relation to the changes I'd made -- almost as if she'd let someone else read the revision. Her advice was to consult a book doctor. Ugh.

I think "revising on spec" is a dicey business, but it's very hard to say no thanks when you're getting more than the usual response. As others here have said, it's definitely a gut decision.

Offline Abbey

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »

After another two months, she rejected the book with comments that bore no relation to the changes I'd made -- almost as if she'd let someone else read the revision. Her advice was to consult a book doctor. Ugh.

That's terrible!  I had a similar thing happen to me several years ago.  An agent read the full manuscript, expressed GREAT interest in it IF I'd "change the person from 3rd to 1st."  I agreed and spent a couple of weeks making that change to the entire manuscript.  I sent it in a second time, and got a rejection a couple of weeks later - no acknowledgment of my changes - only a sort of form letter with something like, "We're currently not accepting any new material."  It was as though they hadn't even remembered what they'd told me!!  Ugh, indeed.   :rant:

I must say - that particular agent went out of business about two years later.  Wonder why.... ;)

Offline DaveKuzminski

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
$60 already? Sounds a bit high or like you're not purchasing your paper in bulk or not using book rate at the post office.

I purchase paper by the case. If I purchased it by a small pack, it would cost a couple bucks for 50 sheets or somewhere around seven bucks for a ream. However, I pay about seventeen bucks for a case which is ten reams of 20 lb. paper. That's generally enough paper to print out a manuscript about ten times. Cost for one manuscript would be about $1.70.

Ink is the next expense. If I purchase ink cartridges individually, those can cost $25 to $30 bucks and that's frequently just barely enough to print out one manuscript. I usually buy a refill kit and use that to extend the cartridge life. My last kit cost $50, but it's already given over thirty refills and still has enough in the bottles to give me another 20 to 30 refills. Cost to print a manuscript drops to about $1.00.

Postage is the area where you can only select among rates and I go for book rate. There's no need to get a signed receipt since that generally aggravates the agent or publisher receiving the package. Likewise, there's no real rush to get it to them unless you know they're going to die within the next few days in which case the question is why are you sending to them? Using book rate, I can generally get the cost down to about $5.00 per manuscript. Of course, distance to publishers varies, so you many see that cost go up or down a dollar. Still, assuming $5.00, that brings the total cost for a manuscript to approximately $8.00.

So, assuming you're not using all these shortcuts to save money, you may want do some shopping to cut your long term costs. Of course, this means spending as much as you've spent already, but you save in the long run and that means fewer expenditures and less per expenditure per manuscript.

Offline pam

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 12:18:46 AM »
This is very bad form and I've never heard of an agent not dealing with the entire ms. Usually, an agent will send you several pages of notes. I'd move on.

Offline Abbey

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 11:05:51 PM »
This is very bad form and I've never heard of an agent not dealing with the entire ms. Usually, an agent will send you several pages of notes. I'd move on.

Yep, I agree completely - in fact, I've decided to query other agents (and have since gotten a request for another full, in the process!  ;D ). 

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 07:39:52 AM »
YAY!
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)