Author Topic: What are your querying stats? Just curious :-)  (Read 5143 times)

Offline bodwen

Re: What are your querying stats? Just curious :-)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 11:18:37 AM »
212!???

Phew--if I get to 150 I think I'll have scraped the barrel clean.

At that point you have to pick up the barrel and query the ones that slipped past you. 

I think sending out over 100 queries is normal, but people don't like to talk about that.  It's a lot easier to admit that you married the 12th boy you kissed than the 200th.    ;D

Offline HorsebackWriter

• Dream at a gallop!
    • Lefty In My Write Mind
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
For me with the 212, the effort was equivalent to how much I believed in my project and how hard I'd worked on it. I felt it deserved every last effort before being retired.

The 40 requests I received in turn opened the doors to agent feedback and conversation which helped shape my present project to closer fit industry standards. It also gave me the chance to get to know a few agents, who then asked for fulls when my next ms was ready.

I guess, in a nutshell, I was networking across novels. : )

Stats for this time around:

Q -- 30
Subs -- 6 fulls
Rej.s -- 3 (2 with feedback, 1 not taking on new clients)
The rest? Crickets.

Query Land is seeming awfully quiet this summer.

Em
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:13:20 PM by HorsebackWriter »
Author of IF YOU FIND ME, Carnegie Medal '14 nominee, NYTBR Ed.s' Choice June '13, Booklist Youth Ed.s Choice of '13, YALSA BFYA '14 nominee, CYBILS nominee '13, Goodreads Choice Awards '13 nominee: Best Debut GR Author, Best YA Fiction. Translated into 7 languages. Whew.

http://twitter.com/LeftyWrite

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »
It sure is--for the 73 I've sent I've only heard from half--and of the it's one third request and one third reject. But until a month passes, I don't mark it as a no response. It's like sorting through a mound of hay for diamond chips! But they're in there somewhere, right?

Offline Elizafaith13

• Fear is the mind killer
    • Eliza Tilton
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 06:20:42 PM »

My query statistics are pretty well known on this forum. Almost every literary agent has rejected me at least once.

With no where else to go, I started sending my queries directly to publishers. One publisher wrote back that I would be the last person they would publish.

When Kimmy wrote that the world is going to end in 2012, I wrote that publisher back and asked him if he still wanted me to be the last person they published.

He replied back, yes.

I sent him a copy of my manuscript and a copy of Kimmy's post.

I apologize if this should have been put on the success thread.

your hilarious!
Broken Forest~YA Fantasy~Curiosity Quills Press: May 2013

http://www.elizatilton.com/