Author Topic: Would it be rude to do this?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Alniah

Would it be rude to do this?
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:54:02 AM »
I sent a equery with synopsis and chapters attached as per the agent's guidelines. I received an email a couple weeks ago stating that the agent could not open the files. So I resent the files and the agent got them. Well, last night I got another email when the agent said still having trouble opening the files. I made sure my files were .doc this time but still it did not work.

So I was thinking about trying the .doc again + sending her a .pdf + pasting in the text of the email. What do ya'll think? I don't want to be rude by sending a .pdf, (like I don't trust the agent or something) but I also don't want to lose the interest either by prolonging this technical glitch. What do ya'll think?
The agent specifically asked for a .doc file.
I did send the file to my husband on an older computer and he said he could open it just fine.... :huh:
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Would it be rude to do this?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »
Send it as a RTF file or as a text file.  I wouldn't send it in the body of the email if it's more than 30 pages.

A PDF would be a royal pain to read, especially if she's reading it on her phone. In fact, they're a royal pain to read on my laptop, and I would never ask an agent to do that.

Offline paulwest

• Writings and Musings of Paul West
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »
Send it as a RTF file or as a text file.  I wouldn't send it in the body of the email if it's more than 30 pages.

A PDF would be a royal pain to read, especially if she's reading it on her phone. In fact, they're a royal pain to read on my laptop, and I would never ask an agent to do that.
I've never had a problem sending documents pdf. What kind of problems are you seeing with them? Some of the agents I've submitted to have asked for either .doc, rtf or pdf formats.
Visit my writers blog at http://paulwwest.blogspot.com/

Offline clutzattack

• Groundwire
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »
Something sounds fishy to me with the whole situation. As a professional for the industry, I would think the agent should be familiar with the various file formats of the medium they work with--including how to open ANY text related file.

Here are some common errors I can think of:

Is it accidentally saved to be a read-only file, or is it protected so that only users on your network can access it?  (Right click on your file and scroll down until you see "Properties". Under the "General" tab look to see if "Read-Only"is checked, and beneath that, look if there's a Security comment that says anything about the file being blocked. Most files will not have this if created on your computer.)
Is there anyway this could be an issue caused by having different operating systems. (A Mac user trying to open a PC file) <--this might be totally naiive of me.
Are you accidentally saving it as a .docX file (or a variable of a .doc file in Word 2007?)
Could your agent possibly be trying to read your .doc file on a kindle/ereader without converting to .azw file or another format first?
Could the file possibly be corrupt?

When in doubt, an RTF file should be open-able by nearly any word processing program--although I've read some comments about an agent claiming not to be able to open an RTF document. (That's when I start suspecting it's a pebkac error...)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »

I've never had a problem sending documents pdf. What kind of problems are you seeing with them? Some of the agents I've submitted to have asked for either .doc, rtf or pdf formats.

When I open a PDF in Acrobat, it opens it as a graphic rather than a text document. If I open the window at the screen size (default), the text is impossibly small. Enlarging it to a size I can read (and I have decent vision) means I can only view a portion of the page at once, and then I have to shift the page to read the bottom half. When I go to the next page, I need to then shift the image again within the window to be back at the top of the page.

It's a pain in the butt, and I can't imagine it's improved if an agent is reading it on a phone or on an ereader. Plus, doesn't rendering it as a PDF make the file size larger? As in, exponentially larger?

Offline Alniah

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »
So what I did was send her the .doc files and the .rtf.

Thanks Tabris and Clutzattack. I made sure it was not "read-only" so I am not sure what she is reading it on, I just have to cross my finger the .rtf will work.
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline paulwest

• Writings and Musings of Paul West
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
When I open a PDF in Acrobat, it opens it as a graphic rather than a text document.

That depends on whether you create it by scanning the document or translating it from the original Word doc. Translating it creates a text document while scanning creates an image like you said.

If I open the window at the screen size (default), the text is impossibly small. Enlarging it to a size I can read (and I have decent vision) means I can only view a portion of the page at once, and then I have to shift the page to read the bottom half. When I go to the next page, I need to then shift the image again within the window to be back at the top of the page.

That's not really any different than viewing a rtf or .doc file on the computer screen. You just need to scroll up and down like you would on any other document file.

It's a pain in the butt, and I can't imagine it's improved if an agent is reading it on a phone or on an ereader. Plus, doesn't rendering it as a PDF make the file size larger? As in, exponentially larger?

Actually, no. The pdf file is approximately 1/2 the size of a MS Word doc.
Visit my writers blog at http://paulwwest.blogspot.com/

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »
Paul, if I"m reading a Word doc on my screen, I just use the down arrow and it scrolls nicely. I don't need to re-orient the window every single time I go to the next page. 

Offline miamyselfandi

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 11:12:55 PM »

Russell Galen requests that fifty pages be included w/the query letter, and allows e-queries.  I wondered if that would be a problem.  But he doesn't allow attachments, do I don't know that there is any other option other than snail mail, and that's too slow for me.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 05:46:09 AM »
If they request fifty pages in the body of the email, then send it.  But in case of doubt, 30 pages is where i'd break for an attachment.

Offline JamieB

• YA and MG writer!
    • Jamie Making Faces
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:51 PM »
Just a thought...do you have Windows 7?  If so, and the agent doesn't, the .doc wouldn't open unless you save it in a certain way.  I've had trouble opening crit manuscripts due to that.
Lost To Me - YA Romance, on submission
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
www.thegotya.blogspot.com
@jamiemblair - Twitter