Author Topic: Response Times  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Iris

• Partials -- 4, Full -- 1
Response Times
« on: January 13, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »
I didn't see a topic like this, and I thought it might be a good addition.

Today at 3:24, I sent an e-mail query to Jonathan Lyons. At 4:27, I got an e-mail rejection back. From the comments about him, he's rejected things a lot faster than that. I guess he was so slow with mine because it was a Sunday.  ;)

That was the second e-mail rejection I got today. What the heck are these people doing in the office on their day off?

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
Re: Response Times
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »
Awww JL was my first rejection and  clocked in at a devastating 12 minutes  :up:
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)

Offline Iris

• Partials -- 4, Full -- 1
Re: Response Times
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »
You mean he might have spent 48 minutes actually considering my query? Or maybe he was just taking it easy because it was Sunday.

I guess an hour is a lot better than other agents I've dealt with. Like a couple big name agents that I'm still waiting on -- after several years. Or another name agent who rejected my partial but wanted to see partials for other works I had. She was full of praise for my writing, and it seemed like I'd really impressed her. Then several months later I get a photocopied form letter saying, "Dear Author, I'm sorry but I don't think I'm the agent for you...." On the manuscript had been scribbled, "Sorry for delay. Manuscript mislaid." (There should be an emoticon with a balloon deflating.)

So I shouldn't complain about a rejection that only took an hour. (Except that I wish I'd waited that whole hour for an acceptance instead.)

Agents are sometimes funny creatures. (Not funny as in ha-ha so much as funny as in weird.)