Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Alniah

What should I do?
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
This is the everlasting question: should I nudge?

Here are the circumstances. I won a ten page critic from Roseanne Wells on the GLA's editor blog last month. I sent my pages the first week of June. I have yet to receive any feedback. I know I need to be patient and 6 weeks is not much but in the winning email they had said she would get back to us in four weeks. Also, I guess I am worrying because I see her stats on QT and she has been answering to queries/ submissions over the last month in at most 51 days. So now I  :crazy:.

I did nudge about ten days ago (I know I am probably annoying her but I did it out of anger about yet another rejection from someone else) and zit...radio silence.

Any insights besides waiting?  :inocent:

"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »
Whenever you want to annoy an agent or editor, I say--go ahead and do it. Just annoy a DIFFERENT agent or editor than the one you want to.  That is to say, ease the stress of waiting on Agent A by researching Agents B, C, D and E and querying them.  And by writing short stories or essays or whatnot and submitting those to small markets.

Pretty soon you'll have so much stuff flying around that you won't even remember who has what unless you consult your spreadsheet, and enough time will have passed being busy that you can nudge because it's been over three months or whatever.

That's productive "annoyance" because
a) the agent who has your stuff won't get peeved
b) the agent or editor who receives your new stuff won't get peeved because there's nothing out of the ordinary for it
c) you might get more requests
d) you might get publications in short markets

Offline Magic_Seeker

• My new muse
    • Mantua-Maker, Magic Seeker
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:28:35 AM »
:agree: with Tabris!  Don't annoy the hand holding the honey jar; all you'll catch is bees.  :wink:
Happy writing,
  Deb Salisbury, the Magic Seeker
  http://blog.DebSalisbury.com
  My shops: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MantuaMakerPatterns
  and http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicSeeker Dragons

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:05:34 PM »
Hmmm. Who exactly promised the critique? The agent, or the blog owner? This is kind of nasty, but I'd let the blog owner know at some point that his participant didn't live up to her end of the bargain. Even if Roseanne is busy, your particular situation should have moved you to the front of the line.

Offline bodwen

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:29:26 PM »
I agree.  Email the blogmaster and explain that you haven't gotten your critique yet and you worry that your emails are not getting through. 

If your pages were slush that would be one thing, but she made a commitment to get back to you, and it is the responsibly of the blog to be sure that she honors that commitment.

Its no different than if you won a cash prize and someone decided not to pay you.

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:35:18 PM »
Just to give you a heads up-- I don't think this experience is that unusual with the GLA blog. I had a similar situation with a webinar I took through them. Agent promised to give everyone in the webinar feedback on their query letter and first 10 pages. It took forever, and I nudged the agent once, but I did hear back. I think it took almost 3 times as long as promised.

My advice is to be patient. The agent has probably received your submission but hasn't gotten to it yet for one reason or another. And send out more queries or start another project or send out some short pieces. If you stay busy, the time will go by faster, and one day you'll open your email surprised to find the agent's response is there waiting for you.

Hang in there!

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Alniah

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »
Ok now I am ashamed  :zip:. I finally received a response so I guess patience does pay off and I need to stop being so jumpy!
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.