Author Topic: Bio Sheets?  (Read 5846 times)

Offline elknutswife

• Website
Bio Sheets?
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »
Has anyone done one of these?  One of the agents I'm about to query wants the first 3 chapters, a synopsis, SASE, and a bio sheet.  Now, I have my degrees and publications listed on my query, so would I need to include a seperate bio sheet, and if so, what else should I put on there?  All the mundane, age, marital status, schools attended, that kind of stuff?  Seems irrelevant as I have the "writing" bio stuff on the query, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with doing one.
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
Re: Bio Sheets?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
I'm supposed to do one too and I have no bio.  Nothing that really pertains to the story AT ALL.  I figure I'll just pad it with some interesting life events to show myself as a well rounded person and throw in some stuff about taking creative writing classes or something  :huh: This one might be harder than the synopsis...
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 01:56:14 PM »
dang, so I can't just leave it out huh.  Hmmm, well, do you think they want everything, like : Elky was born in 1976, the oldest of five kids....she went to this college, got this degree, took these classes, is married, has kids, and all that other crap? 
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »
this does not sound fun or interesting  :no:

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:01:02 PM »
It would if I were interesting or fun...which I'm not.... sigh.
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »
The agent I got the request from wanted an actual bio, in addition to the partial and the synopsis.
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
Since a complete bio would be longer than my novel, I compress it down to two sentences in my query. If they're intrigued enough to want to know more, they can ask.  :)

Ahhh see, this is my point  :up: - I've got the stuff that's relevant to my writing in the query - hmmm, this is the only agent I've come across that had "author bio" in the guidelines - I think I may go rebel here and just send the query with the relevant bio info and the chapters - I doubt I'd get rejected over that, and if they ask for a full and want more bio info, I'll submit more then I suppose.

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »
Elky,  I really would write something up.  I just read on an agent blog about how they hate it when you just "decide" to emit something...I guess it comes across as cocky (not the clear act of desperation it is with me lol).  But supposedly it annoys them.  Just write anything.  After all, they won't be judging your work based on your bio, but they may be feeling out your ability to follow guidelines and professionalism.
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »
 :flag:  Oh all right, but I'm not going to enjoy it!  ;D

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »
I'm right there with you  :cbash:
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »
Hmmm, maybe they want to see if anything in your life experience will help the writing....I don't know - I can understand if they are offering representation, or even with a full maybe, but with the query and partial  :shrug:  Well, I'll whip something up I guess :)

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 04:00:46 PM »
If they need to check facts I can confirm that time we went hiking for 6 months in the rain forest and battled tigers ninja style. :ninja: :inocent:
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »
 :clap: :clap:  :ninja: 

well, I wrote something, it's not great, but it's....something :)  I'm off to the post office to remail that last partial that I think the post office lost, and a few more queries  ;D

Offline Iris

• Partials -- 4, Full -- 1
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »
I just came back from the post office, where I mailed two queries plus partials (partial was required, not requested). I also sent an e-mail query this morning, so it was a pretty good day.

I don't know if anything in my bio would help my case. In my query letter I include a couple of my short story sales and the fact that I've been a tech writer for 20 years. That's relevant. But I don't know what else would be. Not for the book I'm querying about, anyway. I can think of other things I could include for other works that might be important, but I'm not querying about them right now.

I've never heard of an agent insisting on a bio sheet before.

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
Elky,  I really would write something up.  I just read on an agent blog about how they hate it when you just "decide" to emit something...

i can imagine how they hate it when their writers emit...heehee

seriously, and i'm late to the party here, but do any of these agents have bio sheet examples?  i'd use that as a guide.  otherwise, i'd be SO tempted to make something up - JJM was the first woman to pilot a garbage-hauling barge.  The rough draft of her novel, "What's That Smell?" was written during the 6 month stint along the eastern seaboard, while she awaited orders to dump the trash in a landfill.

be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)