Author Topic: Need Help!!  (Read 1303 times)

Offline JLArmentrout

• # 1 NYTimes Bestselling Author
Need Help!!
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:34:01 PM »

Hey guys, I just got a respond on a query and sample pages. I've never got a response like this and I not sure how to proceed (besides the obvious)

I like the concept of your novel but I think the material needs some editing to fix grammar and spelling problems. If you undergo a revision, I’d be happy to review your sample again.

Obviously, I need to take a look and fix my sample pages. I think I already know what she is referencing. Is this considered a request for revision? Should I respond directly to her with the corrections? Good lord, i fell like a newbie at all of this

I would like to post the sample pages when I am done to have an extra pair of eyes look at it.
# 1 NYTimes Bestselling author. I've written a slew of books. All of them have lots of kisses. Also known as author J. Lynn.

Published with SHP, Entangled, Disney/Hyperion, Harlequin Teen and HarperCollins

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
Re: Need Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »
How many pages did you send? My guess is that the agent is suggesting you clean up the whole book, not just the sample pages. She's willing to look at the sample pages/query again to see if she thinks you know what you're doing, but if you send them and the rest of the book still needs work, well... You've just wasted everyone's time (including your own).

Why not post the sample pages to get a better idea of what she may mean? And if it looks like it's going to be a lot of work, see if you can find a beta reader or critique partner who will go through the entire ms. with a finetooth comb.

Just my thoughts...

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline JLArmentrout

• # 1 NYTimes Bestselling Author
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:53:33 PM »

I posted the sample pages over in the other forum. I am sure the whole book could use a fine tooth comb. I swear, every time I read it, I find more stuff wrong. Nothing outrageous - at least I hope nothing outrageous.
# 1 NYTimes Bestselling author. I've written a slew of books. All of them have lots of kisses. Also known as author J. Lynn.

Published with SHP, Entangled, Disney/Hyperion, Harlequin Teen and HarperCollins

Offline DHE

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »
That's encouraging, JRo!  Congratulations!  Like Jeanne, I'd suggest asking around here for someone to swap manuscripts with and tell that beta what the agent wanted you to work on.  I'm assuming if the agent noticed it and thinks it needs fixing before moving forward, it's something you want to bring another set of eyes in on.  But the great news is that surface polishing like that is the easiest problem to fix there is, so bring in some help to make it go quickly and so you know you've taken care of the problem, then just send them again.  Put "Requested Material" in the header, make sure it's in response to the email she sent you (so if she scrolls down, she can see what she wrote) and explain that she asked to see the pages after a polish, and here they are.
 :clap:

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
JRo,

Just gave you a quick critique over in "The First Five Pages" forum...

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman