Author Topic: How long should an R&R take?  (Read 319 times)

Offline ellerose

How long should an R&R take?
« on: July 16, 2022, 05:42:29 PM »
Hi QT community! Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I received an R&R a few months back from an agent I'd love to work with. Her ideas were great, we clicked on the call, and I got to work right away. I let her know I wasn't sure how long the changes would take to implement; she said that was fine.

Fast forward to last week, when she sent me a check-in email asking about how the revision is going. I let her know it's going well, I just wrapped up a round of beta readers, and am hoping to get it to her in the next few weeks (all true). If my timeline holds, I'll have been working on this for a little over four months.

But now I'm second-guessing myself. Did she nudge because she expected to hear back before this? Do most people finish R&Rs in a month or two and I'm dragging this out way longer than she expected? I took the nudge as a good sign, so I do want to send this back as soon as I can, but I also don't want to rush. Is there an average time? It's so discouraging how little R&R info exists outside of writing forums and the occasional blog post.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline 217mom

Re: How long should an R&R take?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 06:27:30 PM »
It's a VERY GOOD SIGN that an agent you want to work with, whose suggestions appealed to you, checked in. It's not only good, it's uncommon. She really is waiting for your revision.
Her call might have been prompted by conversation with editors who said they are looking for just the sort of manuscript you are working on, or because she has made notes to herself to check in at this junction. It's all good.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 01:02:44 PM »
Asking how long an R&R should take is like saying, "How long is a string?" It's as long as it needs to be.

I'm wondering if the agent might have been worried that she'd discouraged you, and you weren't going to do it. Either that or maybe wondering ifyou'd gotten an offer as-is from a different agent, and she should take you off her list of potential clients.

Usually I hear about agents unnerved that R&Rs are done far too quickly, indicating that the writer didn't take the work seriously enough. The answer you gave should at least convince the agent you are taking it VERY seriously.

Good luck!

Offline ellerose

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 09:23:09 PM »
Thank you both for the responses! And for the heads up that an agent checking in with a writer about an R&R, unprompted, isn't necessarily normal. I wasn't sure if that was the status quo or not.

I really am taking this seriously. I've been hard at work for going on four months, and that's included a totally new outline, writing and rewriting and rewriting, and 2 rounds of betas. I think I'm getting close but I truly want to do all I can before sending this thing off.

Offline Butters99

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:08:46 PM »
So good to hear someone else having these questions. I got an R&R in late January from an agent I'd love to work with and I've taken it very seriously, executing both her notes and notes from earlier beta readers.

But damn, it was a long process and around the six month mark I got an email from her asking if I'd done the revision, that she had been thinking about the book and would love to see it. I (wishfully) thought I was close to finishing and said she'd have it in days -- but then it took me another month! Ugh. Sent it off Friday and am biting my nails over whether I've now convinced her I'm not a good deadline-meeter/potential client. Time to query some more agents...

I hope yours pans out in the best way possible.

Offline ellerose

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 12:50:36 PM »
Some good news! I sent the R&R back after ~4.5 months of working on it and the agent offered rep right away. I stopped querying for the R&R, so I have pretty much nothing left to close out, which means I can eagerly move forward with the R&R agent. The R&R experience itself was BRUTAL (happy to talk more about it if anyone wants!) but it all worked out!

Offline 217mom

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 11:49:20 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
All good!

Offline Butters99

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 12:26:13 AM »
Fantastic Ellerose!  So happy for you after all your toils in the R&R trenches. I heard back from my R&R agent that she hopes to read it within two weeks so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  :clap: