Author Topic: So bummed  (Read 11660 times)

Offline HorsebackWriter

• Dream at a gallop!
    • Lefty In My Write Mind
Re: So bummed
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »
Thanks you two for those links -- I've tucked them away for a rainy day.

I get shivers upon thinking of subbing directly to a publisher, but delicious shivers! : )

Something to keep in mind if the agent route doesn't pan out.

Em
Author of IF YOU FIND ME, Carnegie Medal '14 nominee, NYTBR Ed.s' Choice June '13, Booklist Youth Ed.s Choice of '13, YALSA BFYA '14 nominee, CYBILS nominee '13, Goodreads Choice Awards '13 nominee: Best Debut GR Author, Best YA Fiction. Translated into 7 languages. Whew.

http://twitter.com/LeftyWrite

Offline MarvaD

• MG/YA Fantasy
    • Marva Dasef
Re: So bummed
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »
Publishers are way easier, especially if you don't go for the top markets. When I abandoned all hope on agents for a couple of my works, I got acceptances from small (yet growing) epubbers in days. I've got two books on contract now. Funny how the publishers saw merit where the agents didn't.

By the way, if you're in the romance genres, there are some excellent small publishers out there dying to get your work. You could (may I suggest) get published with your first book, then you've got some creds when you approach agents for your 2nd, 3rd, etc. Maybe you'll find a happy home with an indy and never look back. It's happened.

FYI: I'll still try to get an agent with each new project, but I'm not going to shove anything in a drawer just because no agent finds it worthy. I'm too old to f*** around with that nonsense. You 20- and 30-somethings have a shot at a long career, so you can take your time. I applaud you and wish I'd started much earlier. Work, kids, divorce, moving. All those things made me wait. Don't make my mistake.