Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 81797 times)

Offline violet

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #360 on: June 17, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »
I think we tend to forget that publishing is like the rest of the world...sometimes concept sells over content. Not everyone who writes is going to be a great writer. Just as not every movie made is an Oscar contender or every actor can recite Shakespeare.

For me, and maybe I'm doing a disservice to myself, I tell friend's, my ms is commercial fluff...it's fun and I hope everyone has a great time who reads it. I'm not pretending to be the next Dickens...would I like to write something that would be worthy of the critics? Absolutely...and I'd probably be decent at it. And someday I probably will.

Luctari-as for your inner Hannah Montana...I'd never seen the show...and I was like, "what is all the fuss about?" She happened to be on American Idol, 2 seasons ago. She is NOT a good singer! But  boy can she prowl the stage--she has charisma in spades. She put many of the twenty something year olds on that show to shame. So I went, "yep, I get it."

Offline Cujo5

« Reply #361 on: June 17, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »
Violent, I totally agree. I feel the same way. Maybe it is a disservice, but I want to write what is entertaining. Someone can pick it up read it, get a good escape from life and say that was pretty cool. Not literary in any way, nor do I try to pretend to be. It's the same with my screenwriting. I always aimed for a summer blockbuster type of idea, something that would be a fun ride, and that's it.

However, I still want it to be structuraly correct and such so I focus on those things, but overall I think the story and characters have to be the key to the entertainment. I consider my writing entertainment, not life changing by any means.

Offline violet

« Reply #362 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
Violent, I totally agree. I feel the same way. Maybe it is a disservice, but I want to write what is entertaining. Someone can pick it up read it, get a good escape from life and say that was pretty cool. Not literary in any way, nor do I try to pretend to be. It's the same with my screenwriting. I always aimed for a summer blockbuster type of idea, something that would be a fun ride, and that's it. Oohh! I didn't know you were a screenwriter too! Mine were indies...but still, FUN indies, a little deep but again, no Oscar contenders.

However, I still want it to be structuraly correct and such so I focus on those things, but overall I think the story and characters have to be the key to the entertainment. I consider my writing entertainment, not life changing by any means. Amen. I'm also a  stickler for structure btw--as a matter of fact, I really think learning about structure via screenwriting helped me with my current writing.

Offline karaokecrush

• big kiss
« Reply #363 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »
if i ever channel my "inner Hanna Montana" I think i'll be needing a padded room by the wc ... whoo hooo .... I'm reading the phonebook for names that ring and then rhyming them (while i'm listening to my favorite cd ... of course!)  {you all know what that is and you're too polite to mention it --THANK YOU and KARMA for that!!!} :clap:
Larger than life and twice as freaky!