Author Topic: Can't decide if this is good or bad.  (Read 1422 times)

Offline elpato54

Can't decide if this is good or bad.
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »
So I got this rejection letter today:

I’m afraid this isn’t really a good fit for our agency, and the prose could be more gripping. That said, I applaud your exceptional plot, which is bombastic to say the least, and ambitious in its final conflict. You face an uphill challenge in finding representation for this book, but if it ever comes out, I, for one, will read it.

Best of luck,

Trying to decide how I should take this. For one I'm wondering if his comment about the prose was a nitpick and mostly a "well if anything that could be better but besides that."

Besides his comment on the "uphill battle" I'm wondering if this is a battle I'm starting to win with the query process, cuz what I'm taking it as is "good book, good job, they just simply don't want it."

Btw, for the curious, the book is part urban fantasy, part historical fiction, and part thriller dealing with a lot of religious controversy (conspiricy against christianity for the most part).

what do you think?

Offline bodwen

Re: Can't decide if this is good or bad.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »
He likes it, but he doesn't think he can sell it.  I'd say that's good.

Offline eallen99

• The Bridgecrosser
    • My Webpage
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
I agree with Bowden, but why do they feel so compelled to offer up the back-handed compliment?

Offline elpato54

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
Well the guy was an intern, so I bet he liked it but knew the agent wouldn't or maybe this isn't for the agency. I agree though, it's strange I get the "prose could be gripping" then the majority of the rejection is how he likes it. Probably just a nuance he found is my guess. Kinda like in a film where "The camera work could be better." one of those things. I think as an intern, and judging from both your responses, it just wasn't going to fly with the agency's tastes. Again, it's a plot against christianity and VERY controversial, so immediatly there you got likes and dislikes across the globe. It looks like I'm doing good though if this is the response I get. This agency hands out a lot of form rejections, so it seems like I wrote a good book (or 50 pages that I submitted here). I'll just smile and know things are working here...

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
I think religious controversy would be a selling point for a certain number of agents, and a turn-off for others.  You may not have found the right one yet.

TG
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline elpato54

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:12:09 PM »
Totally agree with that. I knew that going in. I just was worrying if there was something nagging my MS at the moment. From the looks of things-it's pretty good and my writinig doesn't suck or he wouldn't say he'd be reading this.