Author Topic: Revise & Resubmit  (Read 6331 times)

Offline absterschmidt

• “A man without tattoos is invisible to the Gods.”
    • My Blog
Revise & Resubmit
« on: October 01, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
Hi Folks!

I was on here briefly for a little while, ran into some home issues, and am now back. So for the absence. ;-(

In the span of three weeks of querying I've gotten 2 replies on fulls for "revise and resubmit." At first, both of these rejections felt like a kick in the stomach.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I feel like I've climbed halfway up the mountain and tumbled back down to the bottom.

How often do revisions result in positives responses from agents? Of those agents who still have the full, should I contact them to inform them I'm going to be making major edits?

Gah!

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
Re: Revise & Resubmit
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:51:48 AM »
You should feel GREAT! Revise and resubmit means they see merit in your work and want to see if you are willing to take suggestions and make changes to better the manuscript.  I have had several partials and fulls out and never got that request  :'( so pat yourself on the  back for a job well done and get on it!!! :yes:
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline absterschmidt

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
Thanks, Kimmy. I really appreciate your encouragement. I guess I feel like I've gotta climb a 20,000 foot mountain and I'm at the very bottom looking up. It's daunting to say the least--and then, what if they still don't like it? *rips out more hair*

I never thought querying would be stress free, but this round has me gnawing my fingers raw.

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!  NOW, GO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wag:

@KimberlyAnnNJ

Offline absterschmidt

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »
 :) You've made me smile. Thanks for that, Kimmy! And karma to you and good luck with your writing.

We'll all one day laugh at our struggles when we're published authors.

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
Or cry....... :'(

@KimberlyAnnNJ

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »
I believe AgencyGatekeeper said R&Rs rarely result in offers. I had an extensive R&R request from one agent who loved the revisions (and yes, it absolutely improved the manuscript!) but she turned it down for reasons unrelated to the R&R stuff.

If the revisions make sense to you, make them.  with mine, I let them sit in my head for three months and finished another novel before doing anything with them. When they still made sense, it took about six weeks for me to implement the changes because they were fairly sweeping changes.

Offline bodwen

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »
I think it sort of depends on how the revise and resubmit is worded.  If it's something direct like "Would you consider turning Joe into a vampire?" then I'd say you have a pretty good shot.  If it's something like "I'm afraid I'm going to pass, but if you decide to turn Joe into a vampire, I'd be willing to take a second look" then I'd say that you're still in the slush pile.

The important question is, do you agree with the suggestions?  I got a lot of revision suggestions that sent back a "thank you anyway" response on because they ran contrary to the spirit of the work.

As far as notifying other agents, I think you should, but only after you've completely finished the edits.  Tell them you have a more recent draft, briefly describe the changes, and then ask if they'd like to see the latest version.

Offline absterschmidt

• My Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 03:42:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »
My revision resulted in an offer. I'm so glad I did it.

Many publishers request revisions before they buy the book even after you've revised for the agent. Those don't always have happy endings either.  My feeling is that if you don't revise, your chance with that agent is zero.  If you do, he/she might take you on.  I agree with others though; if the suggested changes don't resonate with you, don't revise. 

I also suggest letting the revision request sit a while before you make a decision.  I put my editorial letters aside and let the ideas sink in before I do anything.  I often have a knee-jerk reaction to suggested changes because 1) I'm too close to the work, and 2) because I'm sick of changes and anxious to move forward. When I come back to it, the request seems more reasonable and less insurmountable.
I write as Marissa Clarke and Mary Lindsey for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marissaclarke.com

Offline absterschmidt

• My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 09:26:13 AM »
Thank you, everyone. I have been letting the suggestions sit for a while now and I do agree with them. I'm not allowing myself to make edits until I sort through all the ideas, but I plan to do them and hope for the best.

MaryL, I'm uplifted by your revise-submit success.  :)

Best of luck to everyone!