Author Topic: When to let it go  (Read 8049 times)

Offline audal

Re: When to let it go
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 09:48:09 PM »
Yes, I'm noticing that the summer months are a bit of a void.  Since the Book Expo 'til now, it feels like publishing  has altogether shut down.  And I hear it gets worse?  Ugh.

Though I haven't entered all stats (those prior to QT anyway), here's what I've noticed.  I started querying for a commercial fiction project in mid-March.  For 2 months, I went something like 0-for-15.  Then, just like that, requests for 3 partials & 1 full between mid-May and mid-June out of maybe a dozen more queries.  Ever persistant, I sent a dozen more and have yet to see a request since mid-June.

It can't be true, but aren't all of us with our sparkly vivid imaginations 100% SURE that we'll be unforgivingly buried in the summer slush swamp, our queries never to be read?

Say it ain't so, people!

No really... speak up - tell me every letter sent will be a letter eventually read - at least by SOMEONE!
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 09:59:27 PM »
If agents flee NY in the summer and who can blame them? Have you ever stood on a NYC subway platform on a 95 degree day? Turn on your oven and jump in..it'll be more comfortable.

But like me, they probably have internet so they can still read e-queries if they are so inclined.

Who knows? I've gotten some pretty speedy rejections this week. Uwe Stender replied in about 25 minutes...with a nice NO.

Offline JeffCrook

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »
I think this is definitely going on. I've noticed a slump in responses since July 4, not only for queries but also my short fiction submissions.

Offline Diowe

• Please. Tell me more.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 12:35:26 AM »
I've heard that's why the Dell Yearling Contest deadlines are the way they are -- they take entries til the end of June but don't post their decision til the end of October. I've heard tell that's because they bury their toes in the sand of some tropical isle with frosty drinks by their sides all summer, while they slosh through thousands of contest entries (as long as they're not sloshed themselves, since I entered! Or... maybe sloshed might work in my favor??)  ;)

Diowe

Offline BillyShakeaspear

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 08:46:42 PM »
An interesting thing happened to me on the way to my getting published ...

First understand that I query via email. Sending it by post, even with a SASE, gets about the same number of responses I've found. One benefit of email is that little toggle that sends back a note saying your email has been read. At least you can then tell that much.

What hurts is when that note is never sent, in that case I envision someone with a humongously long list of emails to read and mine is way down at the bottom somewhere ... or, and this has happened too, I got a message saying my message was deleted without being read. I don't understand that at all.

One thing I've tried is to hit on agents in the UK. A number of US authors have found agents over there ... or maybe I noticed that because I live in Australia? Dunno.

The nice thing about it all is the number of lit agencies in the world ... I figure I'll be an old man with a closet full of stories looking for a home by the time I get through them all ...

as someone said .. "keep writing"

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 07:47:24 AM »
Billy
The only time I've heard of agents deleting Emails without reading them is when it is addressed to more than one agent (when the Email is sent at the same email to 10 agents either with multiple recipients or in the cc.)  Are you doing that?  They don't like that.  Every Email has to be sent individually, one at a time.  If that is not what you're doing, then I am just as confused as you as to why they would do that.

Another reason not to send to multiple recipients is that spam filters watch for this and so you might end up in their junk folder.

Also, and you probably already know this, that the receiver of the Email can turn off the automatic read notification (and I'm sure plenty of them do), so just because you are not receiving the Email back saying they read it doesn't mean they didn't.