Author Topic: Agent disappearing  (Read 5488 times)

Offline JLArmentrout

• # 1 NYTimes Bestselling Author
Agent disappearing
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »

I noticed that Bree Ogden and all the agents from her agency are no longer pulling up in Query Tracker. I've tried for two days? Any idea of what is going on ?
# 1 NYTimes Bestselling author. I've written a slew of books. All of them have lots of kisses. Also known as author J. Lynn.

Published with SHP, Entangled, Disney/Hyperion, Harlequin Teen and HarperCollins

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
Re: Agent disappearing
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
Sorry Jro. That agency received a "not recommended" rating from P&E, and I have a policy against listing any agent rated as such. If you need to know more, you'll have to check their listing at P&E.

Offline JLArmentrout

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »

OMG, that is shocking. I thought something was wrong with QT. Thanks for the heads up.
# 1 NYTimes Bestselling author. I've written a slew of books. All of them have lots of kisses. Also known as author J. Lynn.

Published with SHP, Entangled, Disney/Hyperion, Harlequin Teen and HarperCollins

Offline lexcade

• Me & Michael Myers. SO COOL!
    • Going from Nobody to Somebody
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
i know, right? i've got bree on my blogger feed. weeeird...

patrick, what does "editing conflict" mean?
Duality - Edits
WIP: Spark
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)
Back burner: Taming The Ancients

http://lexcade.blogspot.com

Offline JLArmentrout

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »

Bree has nothing bad by her name, and I searched P&E for what editing conflict meant and came up with nothing on their site

Offline lexcade

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird. thanks for the info, JRo.
Duality - Edits
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:57:29 PM »
Typically, P&E puts the negative ratings with the agency and not the individual agents.

An editing conflict is when an agent offers editing for a fee, or refers querying authors to other paid editing services and then collects some kind of kick back. The problem is that sometimes the offending agency will tell the author if they pay for and complete the editing, they will represent the author when the editing is complete. Unfortunately, there are crooked "agents" out there who have no intention of representing anyone, or ever selling their books. All they really want are the editing fees. Sometimes some editing is actually performed, sometimes not. I heard of one case where the "agent" hired students at minimum wage to do the edits.

It has gotten so bad that any agent offering editing is suspect, and I believe that agents should be aware of this problem and avoid it if they want to keep their reputations intact. It is a situation that is just too easy to abuse.

The intentions of this particular agency are unknown to me, but they do offer editing as per their website, and I respect the decision of P&E.

For further reading, there is a thread on AW at http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41763&page=3

Offline lexcade

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 09:00:37 AM »
Oh wow. Thanks for the info
Duality - Edits

Offline JLArmentrout

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »

Thanks Patrick for the explanation.

Offline ethers

• Flowers for Ghosts
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
Ms. Martin herself commented on that AW thread, for anyone interested in what she had to say. Although she went back and deleted her initial post, someone had quoted it so it's still available for viewing.

As a note, I do not *think* anyone has had these editing problems with Ms. Ogden. All her clients absolutely adore her. The editing stuff seems to be more toward Ms. Martin. Again, I'm just going by what I've heard, so I can't say for sure. Anyone with a story (good or bad) is definitely encouraged to post about it on that AW thread!

Bummer about Ms. Ogden being taken off, but I appreciate knowing those with poor reputations on P&E aren't something I have to worry about on QT.

Offline SaltyDog

Re: Agent disappearing (different agent)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 02:42:27 PM »
Patrick,

I was about to query Deborah Grosvenor at Kneerim & Williams, but when I went to the site to do a last minute check on submission requirements, I note she is no longer listed as an agent.

Do you (or anyone else out there) know what's up with that?

Thanks,

Salty Dog

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »
Hi Salty,
No, I don't know what's going on, but her page on their website is still there (http://www.kwlit.com/ouragents_deborahgrosvenor.html) they just don't link to it anymore. That probably means she has left the agency. I'll try to find out more.

-Pat

Offline SaltyDog

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 06:05:35 PM »
Patrick - Thanks