Author Topic: Pinching myself...  (Read 7875 times)

Offline Abbey

Pinching myself...
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
So, after querying WIDELY since May (well, and years before that, really, too), and getting tons of rejections and several nice "bites" (interest, requests, rewrites/resubmits), I got a contract!!!    ;D

Long story short, Mr. Steven Chudney (of the Chudney Agency) requested 50pgs a week ago, then requested the full that next evening.  2 days later, he sent an email and a contract, offering representation.  My head is still spinning!!  We spoke on the phone, and I wanted to say "yes" immediately, but because there are still other fulls out, I wanted to be courteous and give them a few days to respond (Mr. Chudney completely understood).  So, Tuesday, my decision will be official...

I've always read that this sort of thing can happen lightning-fast.  I didn't believe it until now.  It's so interesting, looking back, seeing the "timing" of all this - I wrote this novel (first in a series of women's fiction) 3 years ago.  Mr. Chudney specializes in young adult fiction, and at that time, 3 years ago, wasn't open to other genres.  Well, only recently, he's wanted to branch out, and I just so happened to send my query at the right time.  In fact, in hindsight, I'm not sure why I queried him at all - because usually I only query those who's specialty is women's fiction (or at least is adult fiction). 

Anyway, I don't know what the future holds, and getting an agent is still no guarantee of publication, but I must say, I'm excited about this!  It's taken YEARS of rewrites, hard work, sweat, frustration, waiting, waiting, waiting, querying, and more frustration to get to this moment.  Best of luck to ALL the writers on this board - you guys are awesome, and I always love reading your posts.  The level of encouragement and support on this particular messageboard is like none I've seen elsewhere.  It's a true community of writers...

Just wanted to share my good news!   :)

http://writerscorner-traci.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:10:16 AM by Abbey »
The unexamined life is not worth living. --Socrates

Offline Sandbox

Re: Pinching myself...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »
That is fantastic, Abbey. Congratulations.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Abbey

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
Thanks, Sandbox!!  :-)

Offline Magic_Seeker

• My new muse
    • Mantua-Maker, Magic Seeker
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »
:woo:  Yay, Abbey!  Congrats!   :woot:
Happy writing,
  Deb Salisbury, the Magic Seeker
  http://blog.DebSalisbury.com
  My shops: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MantuaMakerPatterns
  and http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicSeeker Dragons

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline newday11

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's worth 3 kneel suckers!!! Congrats. newday11

:kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
SECRETS OF THE COLD WAR. In the Libraries of West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy, Pentagon, FBI Academy, DIA, Yale, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Rice, Alabama, Lancashire Library Service, Derbyshire Libraries, Dorset County Libraries,The Heidelberg American Regional and many more.

Offline Abbey

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »
LOL!!  I love it!  Y'all are making me smile!!  Thanks for all the lovely kind words!

I'm still totally in shock, truth be told.  I half-expect Mr. Chudney to send an email saying "Just kidding!  Ha!" or tell me he's changed his mind, lol.

This is all very surreal!  But wonderful!

munley

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »
Contrats! :clap:

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »
Wonderful! Congratulations!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

And thanks for sharing this story. It just proves that persistence (and a lot of digging and searching) pays off.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline MarvaD

• MG/YA Fantasy
    • Marva Dasef
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »
Good on ya!

I'm beginning to suspect that those who are getting signed by agents are the lucky few. I don't mean that they didn't also write a helluva book, but the places with agents for authors are shrinking. For one thing, with the upsurge in ebooks, it's not worth an agent's time to get their author an ebook contract only. Yet, we're coming to the point where ebooks over paper will see the same attrition as computers over typewriters.

Super YAY for those getting agents! Super super YAY if your agent can sell your book.

Offline lexcade

• Me & Michael Myers. SO COOL!
    • Going from Nobody to Somebody
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
Abbey, that's fantastic news!!!! *throws confetti* congrats!!!
Duality - Edits
WIP: Spark
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)
Back burner: Taming The Ancients

http://lexcade.blogspot.com

Offline Abbey

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Thanks, y'all!

G-Woman, I know EXACTLY what you mean.  Until 2 days ago, I really was starting to give up hope.  I had queried heavily for months (and, years before that!), getting mostly "no's," and a couple of "maybe's."  But never a solid "yes."  And, I was reaching the bottom of the barrel (not in terms of quality of agents to query - but number of them.  I had tried just about everyone that represented my genre, with no luck).

But I guess I'm a testament to one thing - there is hope.  Always, always.  I see querying agents as similar to buying lottery tickets -- the odds are insanely slim against ever winning, but the odds shrink to zero if we stop buying tickets (querying).  I know it's not that simple, but that was my mentality this summer, querying so heavily.  I know how lucky I am - I still can't believe it - but I do believe in "timing" of things, and I guess all those years, it just wasn't my time...

And, I will admit, that as I waited to hear from agents, I was writing, writing, writing - and (hopefully) improving.  I do think I'm a better writer now than, say, 5 years ago.  Maybe that's played a part in this - or maybe it's, again, just that weird timing of things.  Mr. Chudney mentioned over the phone the subjectivity of the business - how one publisher will snatch a book up with excitement, while another publisher can read that same book with no excitement at all.  In the end, we're just putting ourselves in VERY subjective hands...

Again, I'm sending good thoughts everyone's way -- may it soon be your turn, too!!   :)

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
Congrats, Abbey!  Here's wishing you a quick sale.   :up:
I write as Marissa Clarke and Mary Lindsey for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marissaclarke.com

Offline Abbey

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 08:43:13 PM »
Thank you, MaryL!   :)

Offline newday11

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »
 :eek: Abbey's comment, I half-expect Mr. Chudney to send an email saying "Just kidding!  Ha!" or tell me he's changed his mind, lol., deserves more discussion. I remember when a publisher finally took me on. I kept asking my wife, do you think he's serious? Have others experienced these feelings? newday11

SECRETS OF THE COLD WAR. In the Libraries of West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy, Pentagon, FBI Academy, DIA, Yale, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Rice, Alabama, Lancashire Library Service, Derbyshire Libraries, Dorset County Libraries,The Heidelberg American Regional and many more.