Author Topic: Making the Pitch  (Read 9215 times)

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
Making the Pitch
« on: February 21, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »
I saw Coll make reference to this elsewhere. I'm attending a conference in April and have signed up for 5 interviews. Yikes! I would love some pointers ;D
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline coll

• Colleen Rowan Kosinski's Writing Studio
Re: Making the Pitch
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:25:01 PM »

Get your story down to about three sentences and memorize them. The last free for all pitch session i went to i highlighted all the editors/agents i wanted to talk to and, like a woman on a mission, tracked them down. Introduce yourself, smile, don't talk to fast. Say for ex. I write YA paranormal fiction. Is this a genre you are interested in? Then pitch. I got requests from all but one --- one editor had run out of cards and asked me if she could write HER info in My notebook! (I haven't sent to her yet-she's a biggie and I want to make sure my novel is in primo condition.

After the conference but before you send out your partials or whatever they say to send---send a personalized thank you for their willingness to give up their time to talk to writers and how nice it was to meet them, etc. Two days later send the manuscript. Hopefully your name may still be floating around in their mind.

That's all I got.

coll
Get your book trailer at http://booktrailers.alekkosinski.com

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »
  "After the conference but before you send out your partials or whatever they say to send---send a personalized thank you for their willingness to give up their time to talk to writers and how nice it was to meet them, etc. Two days later send the manuscript. Hopefully your name may still be floating around in their mind."

GENIUS, Coll!
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »
Karma for you! That's great advice!!!
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:41:19 PM »
I just received an email that I got a pitch meeting with one of my top ten agents who's going to be at the conference. Yikes!!!!

Offline EJRuek

• E J Ruek, author, novelist
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »
Oh, now, that IS exciting.  Are you ready?  I'm guessing you are.  Luck and Success.

Offline MarvaD

• MG/YA Fantasy
    • Marva Dasef
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:54:48 PM »
I always laugh at the mantra on Absolute Write: The money goes to the author.  Yeah, after you've spent how many thousands on attending conferences, joining organizations, buying 9,999 ink cartridges, reams of paper, and they know you by name at the post office.  The money definitely goes away from the writer until they get a sale.

Still, spend money to make money, eh?  I haven't gone to any conferences yet.  I see the price tag and shudder.  Ususally in the hundreds just to attend and whoa Nellie if you need to get a hotel room.

Good luck and best wishes.  Pitch the hell out of those agents!

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »
Senshi! That's exciting!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  Go wow them!!!
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »
uh...yeah....I'm ready....sure

*scrambling away to go work on pitch*

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 11:04:17 PM »
Go Senshi!

Best of luck on your pitch.  :clap:
Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 07:59:53 AM »
Is this a special situation, Senshi, where you're supposed to pitch an agent? Because usually, they hate that. It's nice to be friendly and make an impression with how much you know about THEM (gosh they love that). Let them ask you about your book. Usually all conference attendees are invited to query according to guidelines laid out in the handouts. When I hung out with Stephen Barbara last year, I watched as about three or four people attempted to force themselves on him. He hated it, but handled it graciously. But, of course, if this is how the conference is set up, by all means give it your best shot and good luck!!!!

Marva, conferences are fun. You do get to meet editors and agents and get a much better feel for how the biz works.

Offline EJRuek

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 08:26:08 AM »
You apply to get x number of minutes to pitch an agent...basically querying to get an audience at a conference.  The ones they are interested in, they approve, then you get notified, and that means you get a face to face where you have their attention.  That's the procedure as I know of it.

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »
Hi Senshi,

Some agents prefer to read. ( Daniel Lazar is one of them ). I talked to one writer who spent nine minutes talking to an agent at a conference only to learn in the last minute, of her ten minute pitch, the agent would have preferred to read her query and synopsis instead of listening to the writer try to describe her novel. The writer learned this when she pulled the two documents out of her notebook and offered them to the agent. He told her he wished she would have offered them sooner. With the query and synopsis in hand, he would have read them quickly and used the remaining time to ask the writer questions. Some people are listeners and some are readers. Literary agents read for a living. Be sure to offer written material on the front end of your pitch, if you have not already queried the agent you are pitching. If the literary agent prefers to listen instead of read, they will thank you, put the documents in front of them, and ask you to tell them about your project. You will know quickly what they prefer.

My only advice is to use your time, with the agent, wisely. Know everything about that agent you can possibly learn ahead of time. The literary agent will be very nice and attentive to your presentation. Literary agents make their money finding people who have the ability to write stories people want to read. Stay relaxed, have fun, and knock the agent's socks off with your presentation.

You will do great, Senshi.  :up:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:50:33 AM by Nostrabuttus »
Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/

Offline EJRuek

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
Great advice, there.  I think we forget that we can in fact treat them as people.  I think relaxing and not treating them as some job interview or target of acquisition often makes more sense.

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
Thanks for the great advice everyone karma for all.

I did apply a month ago for a pitch appointment--and just found out two days ago that I was accepted--so she should be expecting me ;D but can she handle me? Now there's the real question.

What a great idea about bringing my query, I was considering note cards--> seriously--would that have been dumb? -->but the query and synopsis seems like a much better idea ;D

They've also told everyone to bring business cards, so I'll have those on hand as well. I've just registered a domain under my pen name. Too much of my real job crud comes up with google under my real name which is why the pen name. My question is: since I want to put my website on my business card, should I use my pen name for my business card, or my real name? I'm thinking real name but would like other thoughts.