Author Topic: Making the Pitch  (Read 9213 times)

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
Re: Making the Pitch
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 11:00:29 AM »
Hi Senshi,

Your query should be completed and professionally done specific for the agent you are pitching at the conferences, just as if you were going to mail it to that agent.

As for your business cards. Are the cards you plan to take to the conference different from the ones you use for your job?

I would think they would be, unless your job has something to do with writing. In that case the cards you take to hand out at the conference could have your real name if you wish, and they can also have your pen name on them. Make it clear which name is which, if you decide to do that. Whatever you decide to do, please be sure the agent knows your real name and write it on the card you give the agent, if you decide to leave your real name off the cards you take to the conference.

One more thing. Most literary agents attending conferences do not like to carry back stacks of hard copy manuscripts in their luggage. Take a hard copy of your manuscript with you anyway and keep it in your room, in your bag, just in case the agent asks you for one. Also take a digital version on computer CD and have it, just in case the agent is blown away with your presentation and asks you if you have the manuscript on disk. This is rare, but you want to be prepared for the best case scenario. Do not take the hard copy of your manuscript to the pitch session and hand it to the agent. You will be putting that agent on the spot. Even if the agent loves your presentation, let the agent asks you for what they want next. You can always go back to your room and get it and give it to the agent later, if the agent asks for it.

Senshi, you will learn a lot, and I hope you land the agent. It actually happens at conferences. I know an author who landed his agent at a writers conference. The agent loved the pitch, asked for a copy of the manuscript, signed the author soon after, sold the manuscript and the rest is history. I have a signed autograph copy of the book and it is great.

Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 12:27:33 PM »
Great advice! Have some karma :)
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »
ok, i waited a few days to respond, because....

I THINK THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER!

a PITCH! 

that, to me, is such an amazing experience to have.  I am so excited for you, I had to wait until I could write just a few words instead of blathering all over the place.

one request:  please write us about it - everything about it!  what did you wear?  what did they wear?  did they have garlic breath?  did they look you in the eye encouragingly?  did you have good posture?  did they? ackackack...i should've waited longer...

senshi - i'm so excited for you!
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »
I definately will! The conference is at the end of April, so I'm going to be on pins and needles for awhile.

Okay, coolest thing ever: http://www.zazzle.com/pd/find/pt-240

they're called profile cards, they're smaller than business cards, (perfect for conferences) and you can get them in a nifty little holder that enables you to flick them out with your thumb. Super cheap too!
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »
Hey, Senshi! That's exciting. I know you'll do great!

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
I definately will! The conference is at the end of April, so I'm going to be on pins and needles for awhile.

Okay, coolest thing ever: http://www.zazzle.com/pd/find/pt-240

ooohh, those are nifty!  i think i'll get some...
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »
should I use my pen name for my business card, or my real name? I'm thinking real name but would like other thoughts.
If I can make a suggestion I'd suggest your real name with Writing as Pen Name on the line beneath. That way the agent has the full information.
Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More

Offline TheDark1

• The Queen of Darkness
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 09:46:17 AM »
I attended a pitch session last September. One thing is to make sure you write the name of your project on the back of the card! This way then they have the card AND name of the project. Also, my card was a dark purple, the others in the pitch session had white cards. When we walked out I watched as the editor shifted through the white cards and put mine on top and read it!

I'm still waiting to hear the final verdict, as I've talked with two of the senior editors at the house (lg. NY house that specializes in Sci-fi - Fantasy).  :wink:

Good luck at your pitch, Senshi!

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »
Hi Senshi,

Some agents prefer to read. ( Daniel Lazar is one of them ). I talked to one writer who spent nine minutes talking to an agent at a conference only to learn in the last minute, of her ten minute pitch, the agent would have preferred to read her query and synopsis instead of listening to the writer try to describe her novel. The writer learned this when she pulled the two documents out of her notebook and offered them to the agent. He told her he wished she would have offered them sooner. With the query and synopsis in hand, he would have read them quickly and used the remaining time to ask the writer questions. Some people are listeners and some are readers. Literary agents read for a living. Be sure to offer written material on the front end of your pitch, if you have not already queried the agent you are pitching. If the literary agent prefers to listen instead of read, they will thank you, put the documents in front of them, and ask you to tell them about your project. You will know quickly what they prefer.

My only advice is to use your time, with the agent, wisely. Know everything about that agent you can possibly learn ahead of time. The literary agent will be very nice and attentive to your presentation. Literary agents make their money finding people who have the ability to write stories people want to read. Stay relaxed, have fun, and knock the agent's socks off with your presentation.

You will do great, Senshi.  :up:

Thanksfor the tip. It would have never occured to me to OFFER the synopsis and chapter.

Kristin Nelson emphasizes to avoid if possible querying the agent you will be pitching since it puts them on the spot to remember your query. And after all that's what you're paying for at the conference--a face to face query. Rumor has it that it is the only way to get your foot in the door at certain agencies.

I'm still not breathing from discovering that Steve Mancino will be at the Willamette Writers Conference. I may have a heart attack. But I'm sure there will be a huge number of people wanting in his pitch session so I'm crossing my fingers that I get a slot.
Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More