Author Topic: YA fantasy swap? (high fantasy with some romance)  (Read 2760 times)

Offline caseygriffin2

• Happy Writing
    • C H Griffin
YA fantasy swap? (high fantasy with some romance)
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »
Hi,

So, I've finished (and I use the word finished lightly) a 91,000 word YA fantasy (high fantasy if you want to get technical) with a bit of romance thrown in, well... quite a bit.  I live in a smaller town and opportunities for critique partners don't come around very often, so I was hoping to do a swap to get a fresh take on my ms besides from my friends and family, since it's their jobs to say nice things.  Since the word count is high, I'm just hoping to get whatever feedback I can.  I write what I know, so I love YA fantasy if anyone cares to trade.

Offline frobwalk

• Sleep on it.
    • The Epic-ish Journey of a Wannabe Writer
Re: YA fantasy swap? (high fantasy with some romance)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »
Hi there,

Congrats on finishing!  Quick question: Do you mean you've finished first draft, or finished (at least) one revision? 

Maybe to get started you could post your first five to the forums?  It would be a good way for others to see if they might be a good fit as a crit partner, plus you will get loads of helpful advice on the opening, which may give you lots of info to revise the rest!

Looking forward to seeing your first 5!
There's nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.  ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith    www.frobertawalker.blogspot.com

Offline caseygriffin2

• Happy Writing
    • C H Griffin
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »
Hi, just to clarify, I mean I've finished several (which is an understatement) revisions over the course of the last couple of years and seem to hit a brick wall and need feedback before I can improve it any further. 

Offline ClaireM

• ClaireMerle
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »
Hi Casey, I read and liked your first five pages, would be interested in swapping first 30 page or so and taking it from there. I'm also finishing of X revisions of my manuscript and hope to get out querying very soon.

PM me if you're interested.
'The Glimpse' Faber&Faber June 2012
'The Fall' Faber&Faber June 2013

Offline t_tibke

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »
I might be able to choke through some romance to read some fresh high fantasy :D

I'd be glad to start w/ the exchange of 30 pages er so, and see how it goes?

Offline JayliaDarkness

• Icon and Art by Selina Fenech www.ageofenchantment
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »
I have a YA fantasy in need of a new set of eyes to look it over.  Do you want to swap the first 3 chapters and see if we can connect with each other's writing?