Author Topic: Getting Weird  (Read 3445 times)

Offline MarvaD

• MG/YA Fantasy
    • Marva Dasef
Getting Weird
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
After so many queries, it's hard to come up with first paragraphs that strokes and entices the agents to read on.  Since I've got some 2nd and 3rd book queries, I'm beginning to feel like old buddies with some of them.  It makes me bold and/or crazy.  I just wrote this opening paragraph to Rachel Vater.  Sweet lady since I'd inadvertently and with brain in neutral, addressed her as Ms. Vader the last query I sent to her, then immediately followed up with an apology when I realized my mistake.  She wrote a gracious reply, saying I wasn't the first one to make that mistake.  Bless her that she took it in good humor.  Since she might remember me from that, here's my latest query to her:

Dear Rachel (not Vader, but Vater):

Now that I've got your name right and realize you are not the love child of Darth Vader and Rachel Ray, I thought I'd try out a humorous middle-grade fantasy on you. So, here comes the query part...

What's your most insane opening paragraph in a query to an agent?

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
Re: Getting Weird
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »
 :clap: I think that's hysterical. Agents have senses of humor too. Good luck! I'm sure that got her attention.

Offline EJRuek

• E J Ruek, author, novelist
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »
Bold, yes.  I do hope she doesn't take offense.  A love child?  Not the most judicious phrasing. But, you never know.  It could, in fact, be the exact thing to make her ask for the manuscript.

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »
She said she wasn't the love child. Not offensive in the least..certainly not to Rachel Vater, from what I've heard of her.

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 01:06:43 AM »
LOVE it Marva, especially since you're querying for a humorous story.  Gives her a sense of your humor along with the pitch.  Bold move, but smart move too!
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »
works for me - if I were an agent, I'd be bleery-eyed from all the bowing and scraping, just DYING to have someone be lighthearted.
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline MarvaD

• MG/YA Fantasy
    • Marva Dasef
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »
I was just in one of those moods, I guess.  I'm pretty sure Rachel won't be offended.  If anything, she'll just wonder if I went off my meds.  :crazy:

Speaking of which: "Michael Clayton" - writing - fabulous  :clap:.  Up there with "The Ususal Suspects."  Scriptwriters take notes.

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:58:59 AM »
agreed!  i intend to watch it (michael clayton) more than once - it was masterfully designed.
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)