Author Topic: How often do you nudge?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Alniah

How often do you nudge?
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:42:03 AM »
How often do you nudge once your are past the 3 months on partial / 6 months on full deadline? Once a month? Every couple of weeks?

I sent a partial on 08/20, nudged on 11/22. Today is 12/11 and still no response, not even to the nudge. I don't want to be a pest but I know the holidays are hitting soon and I would like to have closure.
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline Duff

Re: How often do you nudge?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »
I nudged once, based on the agent's request that I do so after a period of time. I didn't hear back. I assume if she felt she had to rep my ms, she'd let me know. But at this point, I consider it a no until I hear otherwise and continue querying.

Offline bodwen

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »
I nudge once. As far as I'm concerned if you have to more than once, it won't be a productive relationship.

Offline Alniah

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
I nudge once. As far as I'm concerned if you have to more than once, it won't be a productive relationship.

You're right Bodwen. It's just really frustrating to wait to not get an answer. It's not like it's a query or something  :wink:
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »
A difficult one that I was never sure of. I recall seeing advice from an agent to nudge once a month, but I stopped after about three nudges at monthly intervels.

I once had a full out to an agent who requested it after reading a partial. He promised a response in three months. I nudged him once a month after that for a few months. Eventually, I stopped. When I signed, out of courtesy I sent him a rather snippy emal saying out of courtesy I was letting him know I was no longer available for representation.

SIX MONTHS LATER--I got a rejection.

Oh, the war stories I could tell. *eye roll*

Not sure that helps but its the best I can do.  :wink:
Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 11:49:58 AM »
At three months, I made note of outstanding submission.

At four months, nudged.

At five months, nudged again and got a rejection three days later.

I would not have nudged at six months regardless.

Also, when I saw that an agent routinely did not respond to submissions via her QT profile, I didn't bother nudging at all.

Offline bodwen

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »
I once had a full out to an agent who requested it after reading a partial.

I think I know who you're talking about.  Did his name start with a J?  I've heard that he's overflowing with praise when he requests pages, then doesn't respond unless you chase him into a corner.  I've wondered if he's just looking for free reading material.     :wink: