Author Topic: My little dilemma (a glitch in the success story)  (Read 11191 times)

Offline teen-writer

• Mubbly
My little dilemma (a glitch in the success story)
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:58:48 PM »
Okay, so agent has the full manuscript, she's enthusiastic, woot woot.

Now here's my conflict:

This agent has no clients published by major publishing companies. None. A few of her clients sold semi-well, but no real bestsellers. And it's not that she's a new agent. She's been doing this for 10 years.

And I REALLY want to start considering other options (never thought I'd think twice before going with an agent....).

Is it ethical to continue querying WHILE the agent has the full manuscript? I didn't mention anything to her about wanting to query more agents. And she didn't mention anything about exclusivity, either.

But the fact that she was so excited about my query (and she's the first and only agent I've queried) means that I have a chance with the bigger and better.

WHAT DO I DOOOO???????

Offline Abigail

Re: My little dilemma (a glitch in the success story)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:05:24 PM »
Dan,

Wow...that's awesome!  She did not ask for exclusivity...QUERY man, QUERY!!!!!!!!!  Send those puppies out and NOW.  I think you are right to look further...10 years and no sales to big houses...I don't know.  Don't cut yourself short.  She is an agent, and the fact that she is so incredibly excited about your ms...says a lot.  Be happy, be proud, be confident, and QUERY!

congrats,
Abi
Literature is alive...don't strangle it with superfluous verbiage!

Offline teen-writer

• Mubbly
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »
Wow thanks for the quick reply!

Should I email the agent and tell her that I'm still querying?

Offline Abigail

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:13:57 PM »
I bet she assumes that you are.  Most authors query more than one agent.  She didn't ask about ither queries or for an exculsive on the work...JUST GO FOR IT DAN!

This is SO exciting.  I am impressed.  I know you are in high school, how old are you and what grade are you in?

Offline Abigail

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:15:19 PM »
Oh, and I wouldn't email her about it.

Offline Abigail

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »
k&k  :koolaid:

Offline teen-writer

• Mubbly
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »
Thanks. Grrrarrr I'm just SO indecisive right now. I feel like I'm walking blindfolded on a road with fifty forks in it.  >:( ???

I'm 16, in 11th grade.

I need some more opinions, though. On my query to her, I said that she was the first and only agent I was querying to. At the time, though. And I just met with her, her husband, and a junior agent for lunch! We didn't say it, but it's pretty obvious that she thinks I really really want her to represent me.

EEEEEEEK! Do you see why I'm so indecisive?

Offline Abigail

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »
Ahhh gotya. 

This changes things for me..."On my query to her, I said that she was the first and only agent I was querying to. At the time, though. And I just met with her, her husband, and a junior agent for lunch! We didn't say it, but it's pretty obvious that she thinks I really really want her to represent me."

I would definitely let her know that you were going to query a couple other agents as well.  But, I would still query at least a couple more and see what bites you might get.  I would just be afraid that if you didn't do anymore querying, you may be missing something...especially since she has jumped so fast.

Abi

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:40:19 PM »
Gosh, Dan. I dunno. I feel a little unqualified to even offer my opinion. But here goes: If it were me, I would query a few other agents without letting this lady know. Just to see what happens. If they turn you down, you've lost nothing, but if you get the interest of a bigger fish, you can politely back away from the agent you have to follow the path of bigger opportunities. If she's annoyed with you for doing that well then *shrug* you just have to do what's best for you without worrying about hurt feelings. IMHO
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline Abigail

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:48:43 PM »
I think as a professional she would not mind you querying other agents...she did NOT ask for exclusivity.  And really, just because you told her she was the first and only in your query...it is now past that time and you have since...queried a few others. 

I think Lannie's suggestion of a dozen top-notch agent/agencies is  the perfect number.

Offline teen-writer

• Mubbly
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »
Thank you all for advice!

So here's what I think I'll do.

She'll give a reply within the next two weeks. As you said, no rush. I mean, the ball really isn't on my side of the court right now. If and when she OFFERS rep, then I have the ball. And I can throw it in any direction I want. My dad suggested that we call a distant connection we have in the agenting world (a film agent at William Morris, who works with literary agents), and ask him if he can get someone to THEN read the manuscript quickly. We'll tell him that there's an offer of rep. I'm not obligated to go with this agent. If she offers rep, I'll ask for a few weeks to consider. And then if I get more bites, I'll politely take on the biggest fish.

Sound good? I really need opinions.

Offline Abigail

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
Definitely take advantage of someone at William Morris...great idea.  But I would be sending out those other queries.  Don't wait the two weeks for her to get back to you.  Remember this Dan, agents do not look at one query letter or one manuscript at a time...why should authors submit to only one agent?  Logistically, it doesn't make any sense.  Can you imagine how long it would take if you waited on this notoriously slow paced business one agent by one agent.  Dan, you'd be an old man!

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 12:32:34 AM »
Dan,

SEND QUERIES.  Do not hesitate.  If no one offers, your secret's safe with us.  If they do then you'll have other options.  If you don't send the queries now before an offer of representation I think you'll feel bad if you don't go with her.  You seem like a sweet kid, with a good (loyal) head on his shoulders.  So do it now, before you start telling yourself it's too late. 
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 12:35:50 AM »
I agree with everyone else..send those queries..and Dan, if, by some remote chance this agent asks for money...RUN. The fact that this is the head agent and there's been no sales in ten years makes me highly suspicious. Sorry, it just does.

Offline Diane

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 01:27:20 AM »
Yes, I have to agree -- the lack of clients published by major companies is a major red flag. Send out a whole bunch of queries ASAP.

May I ask how this agent became your "first and only" agent to query?
Repped!