Author Topic: Do you query a 2nd agent at the same agency after a rejection?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Duff

Do you query a 2nd agent at the same agency after a rejection?
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
Not simultaneously, of course, but if their site doesn't say not to?

What if the first agent passed on requested material (not just a form reject on a query)?

I see that some agencies say they share queries if they think the idea will appeal to another agent, but when it's a quick reject (like same day), I don't know....

Your experiences?

(As you can probably tell, I had a partial rejected and want to query a second agent at the same agency with a revision--the site says "Dont query multiple agents at XX simultaneously. We often pass queries along.") It's worth trying, maybe after the holidays, right?

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Do you query a 2nd agent at the same agency after a rejection?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »
I used to do it. I got an offer out of it. Wait a week just in case.

I mean really, what are they going to do even if they do find out? Send a dog to your house to bite your ankles?

My guideline was that if the query went to a specific agent at that agency, I would feel free to query another agent (unless the guidelines said no. Even then, if it was a brand new agent there, I might have done it.) But if all queries were funneled to Queries@Agency-dot-com then I wouldn't.

Offline Stanmiller

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:52:44 PM »
Yes you can, unless the agency web site states that to query one is to query all.  Writers House is one that allows multiple (non-simultaneous) submission.  There are many others. 

Stan
Stuff written?  4.5 thrillers, starting with NANTAHALA BLUE, repped,

Offline lexcade

• Me & Michael Myers. SO COOL!
    • Going from Nobody to Somebody
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 08:07:42 AM »
ok, so i sent a query to nathan bransford last august. since he quit, could i send it to ginger clark at curtis brown since it's been months and nathan's not an agent anymore?   ;D ;D ;D
Duality - Edits
WIP: Spark
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)
Back burner: Taming The Ancients

http://lexcade.blogspot.com

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »
I used to do it. I got an offer out of it. Wait a week just in case.

I mean really, what are they going to do even if they do find out? Send a dog to your house to bite your ankles?

My guideline was that if the query went to a specific agent at that agency, I would feel free to query another agent (unless the guidelines said no. Even then, if it was a brand new agent there, I might have done it.) But if all queries were funneled to Queries@Agency-dot-com then I wouldn't.

Agreed. I did it. And do it.

SB

Offline Stanmiller

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
ok, so i sent a query to nathan bransford last august. since he quit, could i send it to ginger clark at curtis brown since it's been months and nathan's not an agent anymore?   ;D ;D ;D

Depends on the agency's position.  Is Curtis Brown a Q one, Q all type of agency? 

ETA I just took a look the CB website.  Multiple Qs are not addressed in the sub requirements.  But all Qs go to the Query Department.  That sounds like they have an intern culling the Qs.  So you may get kicked out, you may not.  It's worth a try, especially since NB quit.
Stan

Offline lexcade

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »
well, when i queried nathan, it went to his email address @ curtis brown. it wasn't one of those queries@cbltd.com or whatever. ginger's is gc@cbltd.com.... sooooooooooo......

what's the worst that could happen? would she rain fiery agent death upon my head?
Duality - Edits
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)

Offline Stanmiller

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 01:58:49 PM »
well, when i queried nathan, it went to his email address @ curtis brown. it wasn't one of those queries@cbltd.com or whatever. ginger's is gc@cbltd.com.... sooooooooooo......

what's the worst that could happen? would she rain fiery agent death upon my head?

Or even worse, sent to Query Purgatory, where you forever have to read slush. 

Seal it, stamp it, send it.
Stan

Offline LGS

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »

Hi. New here, but I've been around the query block before. I think it would be fine to query Ginger Clark at this point. Like others have mentioned, the worst she could do is reject you.

As far as other agencies, I agree it can be hard to figure out what their policy is, but unless explicitly stated that a rejection from one agent is a rejection from the entire agency I say go for it.

Offline lexcade

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! thanks y'all!
Duality - Edits

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »
Nathan Bransford is a "no longer" ?  Glad I read this.  After my revision, I was going to be knocking on his email door.

Offline lexcade

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
Yeah. He went to work for CNET. Sad to see him go :(  He's still blogging, though.
Duality - Edits