Author Topic: Querying Agents--Hearing Crickets  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Letswrite123

• a Single writer, Living LA Adjacent
Querying Agents--Hearing Crickets
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
So...Am I the last writer in the world who gets that agents are on vacation? Is this month is down cycle month?

Unless they're going to reject me!

Is query response slowing down for you too???
Misty Black - The Beginning (book 1) by Z.L Arkadie (Dystopian - YA/Adult fiction)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UIDG04

Oh, and am blogging too!
http://zuleikaarkadie.wordpress.com/

Offline LGS

Re: Querying Agents--Hearing Crickets
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:32:35 PM »
It's slower for some agents. They do their annual desk cleaning before the holidays and are reluctant to take on new projects. Others keep working, afraid they'll miss out on something good.

I've got four partials out there I thought I would have heard back on by now. But no. It's all crickets for me too. Maybe after the break?  :huh:

Offline Letswrite123

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:46 AM »
It's slower for some agents. They do their annual desk cleaning before the holidays and are reluctant to take on new projects. Others keep working, afraid they'll miss out on something good.

I've got four partials out there I thought I would have heard back on by now. But no. It's all crickets for me too. Maybe after the break?  :huh:

I sure do hope so...Write now I'm finishing outlining a new novel--I guess I'll go all out with that, be patient and see what happens in January!

And, Thanks  :) You've made me feel better!
Misty Black - The Beginning (book 1) by Z.L Arkadie (Dystopian - YA/Adult fiction)

Oh, and am blogging too!

Offline mickip

• If you haven't tried then you won't know
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »
I am confused, I thought most Agents were off for the summer holidays..... and assumed they worked through winter bar of course the days over the festive season. :huh:

Offline LGS

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »
Some keep working, but I know of several agencies that close between December 17 and January 4th. I'm waiting it out until then to re-query. I need to do some revision anyway based on feedback from those I did manage to get responses from.

Offline rkollman

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »
Those New York City crickets must be barely chirping this week in all that snow, to extend the metaphor from a natural phenomena. Most species chirp at lower rates the lower the temperature is (known as Dolbear's Law). Really doubt now we'll be hearing much the rest of the year. 

Offline Jim W

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:06:42 PM »
No, it's cricket season :)  If you listen closely, the crickets are chirping Jingle Bells, but they're all off key so you have to listen really hard.

I've also found that my response rate is through the floor in December.  I still had nine out come Thanksgiving.  I've had one come back in the intervening month, and that was a requested partial from early November.  I still have eight out.  Haven't heard a peep, and don't really expect to until sometime in January.

A number of agent blogs have had articles saying that the holidays are the worst time of year to find an agent.  I tend to agree with them.  When I queried my first project, I made the mistake of querying in December.  I got one response as late as the following May, when the agent was catching up on her paperwork.  Others trickled in at much slower than normal rates.  Worse, even the agents who are working are dealing with the holidays themselves.  Many have kids at home, presents to wrap, New Years to worry about, etc.  That's not when I want to land on an agent's desk, when they're harried from the season's fesitivities.  Now I put myself on hiatus the week before Thanksgiving and won't start querying again until the second weekend of January, much as I hate taking the time off.

Take the time to work on your projects, polish the ol' query letter, and just wait it out.  Think of it as an enforced vacation :)

Offline Letswrite123

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »
No, it's cricket season :)  If you listen closely, the crickets are chirping Jingle Bells, but they're all off key so you have to listen really hard.

I've also found that my response rate is through the floor in December.  I still had nine out come Thanksgiving.  I've had one come back in the intervening month, and that was a requested partial from early November.  I still have eight out.  Haven't heard a peep, and don't really expect to until sometime in January.

A number of agent blogs have had articles saying that the holidays are the worst time of year to find an agent.  I tend to agree with them.  When I queried my first project, I made the mistake of querying in December.  I got one response as late as the following May, when the agent was catching up on her paperwork.  Others trickled in at much slower than normal rates.  Worse, even the agents who are working are dealing with the holidays themselves.  Many have kids at home, presents to wrap, New Years to worry about, etc.  That's not when I want to land on an agent's desk, when they're harried from the season's fesitivities.  Now I put myself on hiatus the week before Thanksgiving and won't start querying again until the second weekend of January, much as I hate taking the time off.

Take the time to work on your projects, polish the ol' query letter, and just wait it out.  Think of it as an enforced vacation :)

Very sound advice Jim W--that's exactly what I did, racked (more like wrecked it, as it's trying to recover) my brain for a story I'll love to write and that can be commercial, literary, adult and about love while having legs to move into a series, all at the same time)...Found it!...The even better news is that I got a request for a full a few days ago!  :koolaid: LOL (I love using that one)... My fingers are crossed! Toes too! I REALLY want to work with this agent.

Oh, and am blogging too!

Offline Zooks

• www.MaryVettel.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
hey Letswrite123, congrats on that request for a FULL.  :clap: :clap: Yay!  Starting 2011 off right.  :up: :up: karma to you. :koolaid:
THE ARCHIMEDES SOCIETY-Humor
THE KNOTTED GUN - Suspense
THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT-RomCom
NOOKS & GRANNIES-YA
GATSBY DELANEY - 7TH GRADE IMPRESARIO - MG
THIS AIN'T NO COWBOY MOVIE-YA
BROGWIN FRAYNEY & HOW HE NEARLY SAVED A KINGDOM-MG
DEATH AT THE DRIVE-IN - Gen'l Fiction
A SCOUNDREL'S TALE-Humor