Author Topic: With writing like this, why are the rest of us unpublished?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
With writing like this, why are the rest of us unpublished?
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
Here is an excerpt from a kazillion times published author.  I gave up trying to read through the muck and mire:

"Thunder no longer roared, and the rain subsided from drumming torrents to a drizzle too soft to press a whisper through the walls.  The hollow silence had a quality of vastness, as of caverns coiling countless miles through deep strata of stone."

WE are reminded to jettison all adjectives and useless verbiage. 

WE would be told to stick to the facts.

"It's raining," is all we're allowed to write.

Someone 'splain this to me please.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:36:43 PM by dana »

Offline Aiala

• Coming soon...
    • Random Ruminations
Re: With writing like this, why are the rest of us unpublished?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
Someone 'splain this to me please.

Why, certainly. You are laboring under the misapprehension that publishing has anything to do with good --or even competent-- writing. It does not, and hasn't for a long, long time.

Worrying about this will drive you insane, so forget it and go back to beating your head against the brick wall.   :)

~A~

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" ~ Dante Alighieri, Inferno
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7286455-she-s-my-dad
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry_all.

Offline Locke

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:53 PM »
One of my sister's favorite sayings: you learn the rules so you know what you're doing when you break them.

And, then, one of my favorite sayings: tools, not rules.

I actually sort of like that passage. It's filled with tone and voice. Somebody may as well have told Robert Frost that "Be yourself" would have sufficed instead of an entire poem about diverging paths in the wood. As long as the entire text doesn't beat the reader's imagination senseless every time a "weather event" happens, it's fine.
"There is more than one way to burn a book.  And the world is full of people running about with matches." Ray Bradbury, "Coda"

WIP: A POOR REFLECTION

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »
This was written by an author that I have followed since I was knee-high.  Lately it seems he has an outline, then fills it with adjectives and pronouns.  VERY different from what attracted me to him in the first place.

Offline Locke

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »
You mean, he has a novel-length Ad-Libs?

I want one!
"There is more than one way to burn a book.  And the world is full of people running about with matches." Ray Bradbury, "Coda"

WIP: A POOR REFLECTION

Offline Duff

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »
Once you make your publisher money, you're allowed some of the transgressions that we mere mortals are not. ;)

:inocent:I have been known to throw books for passages like this. But then again, I've never had to come up with my thirteenth novel on a deadline. It sounds scary when I think of it that way.