Author Topic: A ONE SENTENCE REJECT  (Read 4099 times)

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
Re: A ONE SENTENCE REJECT
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
If I'm any proof of the enjoyment to be derived from rejections, then Jim...you really have a lot of fun in your future. :ninja:

Offline vcanfield

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 03:18:53 PM »
Dana,

Don't let it get you down. This days I'm thrilled if they even bother answering. It means no more to me if they say, "your obviously a talented writer, but ______________" then if they say "no for me". Because in the end it all means the same--move on partner, we're not buying what your selling. At least she didn't say, "you suck, keep your day job". Supposedly Fred Astaire's first screen test ended with the words "Can't act. Can't sing. Balding. Can dance a little." It's all subjective. Keep plugging away. Karma to you.

Offline Jim W

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
If I'm any proof of the enjoyment to be derived from rejections, then Jim...you really have a lot of fun in your future.

Nah.  I don't get any real enjoyment out of rejections, especially if they aren't my own.  (And I don't particularly like my own, either.)  But I always try to look for a bright side.  Humor is a way to deal with the potholes on the road of writing.  Agents don't mean anything personal with a short rejection.  All they're saying is that they aren't interested. 

And I'm gonna say this because Mary's too humble and nice to say it herself.  (Don't bonk me on the head, Mary, I've got a lumpy enough head!)  Yes, Mary's received one word rejections.  But she's also going to be published soon.  Guess who's getting the last laugh there?

Keep your chin up, Dana.  There will be better days.

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »
"Chins up" is more like it.  meh

Offline Jim W

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:16 AM »
"Chins up" is more like it.

You said it, not me.  :)

Of course, I no longer have a chin or chins.  I keep mine safely hidden under a writing beard.  I only trim it on the first day of a first draft.  Most of the time, I look like someone the Viking chieftain kicked off the raid because the other pillagers might be frightened.   It eats combs for breakfast.  So when someone tells me to keep my chin up, I always say:

Do I look like I have a chin?

"Keep your chin up" is kind of a stupid saying when you think about it.  It leaves out whole classes of people.  What do people with cleft chins say?  "Which side?"  The multichinned have to ask, "Which one?"

Oh, I think I need to go to bed.  This is what happens to me when I write late at night.  I get weird.  I'm working my way through some old Roger Zelazny novels.  I think we'd all be better served if I hauled my carcass off to bed and read them. :read: