Author Topic: I can't open the agent's email  (Read 1681 times)

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
I can't open the agent's email
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
Paige Wheeler of Folio Literary Agency sent me an email.  All my other emails open just fine but hers won't.

I"m sure it's a rejection, but does anyone have any idea why hers, and only hers, does nothing when I click on it?

Should I re-write her?  And what would I put in the subject line so the email would go through?

Other than success in opening it, I'm going to assume it's a rejection.

Offline vcanfield

Re: I can't open the agent's email
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
Can you forward it to a Yahoo account or a friends account and see if that works? If not, I would email them and tell them the file was corrupt, could they please send it again. Good luck.

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »
Since I can't open it, I can't forward it.  So I'm going to take your advice... I'll put something in the subject line to get through, but I can't use the word query.

I guess:  Your rejection was corrupt.   :rolf:

Offline Magic_Seeker

• My new muse
    • Mantua-Maker, Magic Seeker
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »
I guess:  Your rejection was corrupt.   :rolf:

:rof2:   :lol:

What email program do you use?  Outlook?  Outlook express?  Gmail?  AOL?
Happy writing,
  Deb Salisbury, the Magic Seeker
  http://blog.DebSalisbury.com
  My shops: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MantuaMakerPatterns
  and http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicSeeker Dragons

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
It comes through my local cable company, but I believe the bare bones are Outlook express.

I'm not worrying about it though.  I've been receiving ALL rejections on one particular query.  (I have three different versions)

The odd little query that I wrote on a whim, seems to be more attractive to agents. (it had the word "pissed off" in it to show my protagonist's attitude and the word had me worried.)

But I sent her the first one that no one has responded to favorably.

At least, by process of elimination, I know the first one is a dud.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:21:19 AM »
Still, if you decide to follow up, write to her again with the subject line "Follow-up: TITLE / genre" and explain that the email arrived in unreadable form and would she mind please resending it, and if it's a form rejection, you apologize for taking up her time. She's a very nice agent, and I'm thinking she probably has an assistant who would be sorting those emails.

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
Done did the deed.  Thank you! :)

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
Dana,

Please keep us informed on what you hear from her. I sent a query to her after she returned from the AWP Conference (where I met her) in February. Still no word. One thing she said at the conference was that they have a very strong spam filter. If you have not heard back from them at all, you should re-query.

While I'm here, I thought I'd pass on some other interesting things I heard from this agent panel:

1. Unless the agent says, "no response means no," you should re-query if you hear nothing.

2. Mention that this is a multiple submission in your query. (That was a surprise to me, since I thought it most agents assume it's a multiple sub.)

3. If you have another book in progress, mention it briefly--a one-sentence description is fine. According to two of the agents on the panel, they want to know that you're not a one-book wonder, that you are in this as a career, not a hobby. This one was a surprise to me too because I've always heard you query only one book at a time.

4. All of them said that the best place to find an agent was at a conference, that the face-to-face contact can move you up the ladder in terms of response. It doesn't guarantee representation, but it does add another level of interest, especially if you made a good impression. Even you don't get the opportunity to talk to the agent at a conference, you should still mention any panel discussions or talks they gave. It shows that you have a professional interest in learning how the industry works.

Just a few thoughts...Keep us posted about PW.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
I think Paige Wheeler would be a great agent to work with. Last summer, she responded to my query, within twenty-four hours, and requested a partial and a bio. I e-mailed both the next day. I'm still waiting to hear back from her. I probably shouldn't have mentioned, in my bio, all the rejections I'd received. Next time, I'm going to limit that number to something less than a hundred.

Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/

Offline dana

• LIFE IS GOOD
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »
If an agent uses an assistant, and if you resend a differently worded query...hmmmmm. :emb:

Assuming it was a rejection, I'll just requery her in a few months with the query that seems to be working better.  (The one with the bad word.)

And, just maybe, she'll have a new assistant by then. :yes:

Good lord, look how low I've fallen.   :(

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
The assistant would pass along many queries to the agent for the agent to look at, and many agencies keep track of which queries they've received and from which writers. So even if it's differently worded, the resend might get noticed. If you've followed-up already, leave it at that.