Author Topic: How much longer would you wait?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Alniah

How much longer would you wait?
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:31 AM »
Picture this: Sent a partial last october. Nudged at the end of January, past the three months mark and got no response. Nudged at the end of February and finally got a "sorry for the late answer, will look into it." So now I am wondering, how much longer should I wait on this one?
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: How much longer would you wait?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »
Why wait at all? After six months and two nudges, I'd write it off as a non-response, but surely you're still querying everywhere else, so just keep plugging away. (If you accept representation elsewhere, though, email her that she can remove your submission from her queue. That's just polite.)

If you mentally write off this agent, and someday you get a reply, awesome. But at least you won't have been stuck in neutral.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:29:14 AM by Tabris »

Offline bodwen

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:59:24 AM »
If you wait you might end up waiting forever.  You don't want an agent who is going to keep you on the backburner.

Offline rivergirl

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
To me you still have a foot in the door.  Definitely keep querying, but give her a couple of weeks to look into it.  If they've lost your partial and forgot to send a rejection, it gives you another opportunity to shine and resend your submission.  They probably already forgotten all about it.  Heck, what's the worst thing that can happen?

Offline Alniah

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »

I have trunked my novel since this submission so I am trying to rack up the last few rejections on submissions so I can close the lid for good.
Thanks for the insight. I will just write it off as a non-responder and focus on my WIP (exciting!)
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.