Author Topic: A request for a full  (Read 2585 times)

Offline writestuff56

A request for a full
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
Hello all --

Nervous about the full I have out there right now. I feel like my first 3-4 chapters are pretty strong, then it slows down a bit around 5 and 6 before picking up again. Do you think the agent will read the whole "full" or lose interest? I'm hoping that if the agent feels like it starts dragging a bit, they'll flip ahead a bit and see where it picks up. In the mean time...I'm wishing I hadn't sent it off with that slow part to begin with. It's just so hard to see those type things when you've been so close to it for so long. And now, of course, I'm second guessing everything out of nervousness! All I can do is wait I guess.....Occasionally, I remind myself that it was great to receive the request for the full to begin with--but whenever I do that, then the second thought is to remind myself not to get my hopes up!! ahhh!! I'll be glad when I hear back, one way or another....

Any thoughts, encouragement, words of past experience from you all?

Thanks!!

Offline Sandbox

Re: A request for a full
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
Hi Writestuff,

Welcome to the world of submission torture!

You are not alone.

Don't sweat it. Plenty of people, me included, end up making tweaks along the way on their submission--even though we try to have it as perfect as possible, sometimes something an agent says makes a person rethink (or, you just figure it out yourself, how to tweak to make stronger)

And do take the time to congratulate yourself on the full. It is an accomplishment. Be proud! And know that your query has worked. It's all good, man  :clap:

SB

Offline Steph Campbell

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
I feel your pain, but it's sent and there isn't a whole lot that you can do about it now. (Short of editing it and asking if they'd consider the revision instead of the original- but unless it is a major plot thing, I wouldn't recommend that...) I don't know if there is ever a point when you will stop second guessing yourself in this business. As for the likelihood of them reading the entire full if they lose interest, well, I hate to say that I think that for *most* agents, if they get to a point where it isn't working for them, they will most likely stop reading, but who am I? Just my opinion...

I've been second guessing a full that I sent out in December, but really, the changes that I thought about after the fact weren't make-or-break changes, so I'm trying not to stress about it... I get what you are saying about hearing back one way or the other, though. The no response is killer...

Good luck to you!
I write YA (indie pubbed and for Simon & Schuster UK).
http://stephcampbell.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/stephcampbell_
Insta: @_steph_campbell
Rep'd by Jane Dystel of Dystel & Goderich

Offline rivergirl

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »
There's absolutely no way of knowing how the manuscript will resonate with your agent.  If the beginning chapters are fabulous though, he'll probably read to see if it picks up again.

Offline writestuff56

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies, both of you. This is truly a learning process!

Offline scox

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
A request for a full is a good thing and lets you know you're on the right track. It is total torture waiting, wondering. I think everyone get's their hopes up, we'd be such defeatist if we didn't. Find something else to do to stay busy. Work on a new book etc. Or else you'll end up needing a bucket of Xanax!!! LOL!!!

Offline onceupon

• C. L. Howland
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:12:37 AM »
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.  I'm in the same boat and it's nerve wracking...I've got to climb down off my email in box!
THE NORTHAM SERIES

My Mother Grows Wallflowers
Release Fall 2016

Legacy of a Wallflower

To Thee I Sing

Current WIP: The Great Sperm Caper

Twitter: @clhowland

Offline Magic_Seeker

• My new muse
    • Mantua-Maker, Magic Seeker
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:22:23 AM »
Congrats on your full!  :clap:  Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Happy writing,
  Deb Salisbury, the Magic Seeker
  http://blog.DebSalisbury.com
  My shops: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MantuaMakerPatterns
  and http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicSeeker Dragons

Offline onceupon

• C. L. Howland
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
Thanks
THE NORTHAM SERIES

My Mother Grows Wallflowers