Author Topic: New Agents  (Read 196138 times)

Offline ElanaJ

• My official website
Re: New Agents
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
I'm not sure if you have this one or not.  I tried to search the database and saw Horward Morhaim Literary. I didn't see Brandi Bowles.

http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/

My trilogy is complete! POSSESSION, SURRENDER, ABANDON, and short stories REGRET and RESIST, are available now wherever books are sold.

My next novel, a YA contemporary novel, ELEVATED, is coming on February 18, 2014.

Visit my blog: http://elanajohnson.blogspot.com

Offline MisterV

• Fingers a toes crossed
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2008, 01:42:41 AM »
YESSSS!!! I knew I wasn't the only one who has that game!

Oh No!! Another person who not only owns the game, but is not ashamed to admit it!  That is great!!

Tu che', Kate! You have out Joss Whedon'ed me.  I thought I was the ultimate fan, but was unaware of his new project.

Yes, thanks to my entertainment weekly subscription I keep up to date - simply because they love the Whedon too.  Here is the article about it:

Cult TV fans, set your emotions to thrilled: Joss Whedon is finally returning to the tube. The Buffy the Vampire Slayer mastermind has just signed a deal with Fox to create a drama series called Dollhouse. Better yet, he's chosen a very familiar face to inhabit it: she of Faith fame, Eliza Dushku.

The show, which boasts a seven-episode commitment for 2008 and a hefty license fee between $1.5 million and $2 million per ep, will chronicle the exploits of a group of individuals who are "imprinted with personality packages" — meaning that they can assume a variety of indentities (language skills, physical talents, memories, etc.) to be used for all types of tasks. When these missions are over, the individuals have their memories erased and reside in a guarded laboratory known as the Dollhouse; Dushku's Echo, however, is slowly coming of consciousness. "We call it a suspense-drama-mythology-comedy-action-horror musical," Whedon half-jokes of the show, which will bend and blend genres in typical Joss fashion. "The main thrust is the thruline of Echo as a sort of newly born character who goes, 'Wait a minute — I exist. Wow. So who would I be? And how dangerous is it for me to let anybody know that I know that I exist?' Not unlike the Frankenstein myth, it's, 'Who made me, who am I, and why am I?'"

Sounds like Dushku has already bonded with her alter ego. "She's fierce and she's hot, but she's also so complex, and she's going to be so tripped out because she's in this world, which I can identify with, where there are people who can click a button and succeed in making you be what they want you to be. It's this whole mindtrip of objectification," she says. "It's going to have sex and heartbreak and violence and hilarity. That, to me, is a hot show."

So when did construction on Dollhouse begin? The two were having a friendly meal last month — Dushku was seeking some project guidance after signing a deal with Fox — when inspiration hit the pair. "In the middle of the lunch, I said, 'Oh, s---, I made up a show, and I have a title,'" recalls Whedon. "And that's when you know you're dead, when there's a title." Dushku, who'll also serve as a producer on this 20th Century Fox TV series, was more than thrilled to reteam with her mentor. "I've always said from the Buffy days, 'I'll follow that guy anywhere,'" she notes. "I just had to find him and pluck him out of his supposed retirement from television."

The timing of this project is somewhat fortuitous for Whedon. (Except, of course, for that whole impending strike mess.) The latest rewrite of his supernatural triller Goners for Universal "was not incredibly well-received," he says. "Nothing's happening with it right now. It's not good news, but one door closes, and then there's a draft, and another one opens."

--- Cool, huh???

Sounds like we need a thread for TV writers. Anyone writing a screenplays?
laverday.blogspot.com

myspace.com/laverday

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2008, 08:28:17 AM »
I'm not sure if you have this one or not.  I tried to search the database and saw Horward Morhaim Literary. I didn't see Brandi Bowles.

http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/

emjohns, Brandi Bowles is now listed.  Thanks for letting me know about her.

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »
Patrick, just wanted to note that Lucienne Diver just left Spectrum Literary for Knight Agency. She's one of the BIG name agents in fantasy/sf.
Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »
Thanks Jeanne

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »
Oh, I just noticed that science fiction and fantasy aren't on Russell Galen's genre list. He does represent them (to put it mildly--he represents both Terry Goodkind and David Farland among others lol) and they are listed on Agentquery. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:49:28 PM by JeanneT »
Writing and More

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2008, 07:08:48 PM »
He rejects all of us anyway, Jeanne!

;D

T.
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
Thanks Jeanne, but this time you only half caught me.  Sci-Fi was on there but fantasy was not.  So  :wag:   (or more appropriate )

But, really, thanks for helping me to keep QT's data as accurate as possible.  I depend on users like yourself to let me know when something changes or when I have it wrong.  There is no way I could do it by myself.  Karma for ya.

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2008, 07:27:26 PM »
You're wrong about that, Tradergirl. He'd have to RESPOND to one of my queries before I could quite consider it as good as a rejection. Instead he gives me a total snub refusing to do so much as say no.  :rant:  :rolf:

Edit: And, Patrick, you do a great job here. I'm happy to help all I can.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:24:32 PM by JeanneT »
Writing and More

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2008, 08:27:12 AM »
Jeanne, as I've probably said before (perhaps I'm bitter?), I had the opposite problem with RG.  He couldn't WAIT to reject me.  I dropped that thing into a mailbox on a Monday mid-morning, and I had an email rejection by Tuesday AM.  Couldn't get my query off his desk fast enough!

T.
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2008, 03:12:55 PM »
Yes, we had a similar yet strangely opposite result from him. He's a meaniehead for sure. (That's a joke people)

Patrick, I'm not picking on you--really. But it looks like you don't have Ann Behar over at Scovil Chichak Galen Literary or Rebecca Friedman at Sterling Lord Literistic in the database.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 03:29:42 PM by JeanneT »
Writing and More

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2008, 03:22:40 PM »
Patrick, I'm not picking on you--really. But it looks like you don't have Ann Behar over at Scovil Chichak Galen Literary in the database.

That is correct Jeanne.  From what I can tell she is an assistant, not to be queried directly.  If things have changed or you have further info please let me know.

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »
Well, I was going by their website where it looks like she is actually agenting now.

Here is what it says on her page on their website:

After five years, Russell asked me to take over the firm's small but growing list of juvenile writers and grow it into something more substantial. I accepted the challenge, and have been searching for wonderful children's books, from picture books to YA, ever since.

I am looking for anything that is beautifully written, with a strong, distinct voice and characters that come alive on the page. Ideally, a book should grab my attention from the very beginning and hold it there, and leave me thinking about it for a few days after I am finished.

And I added another one in my previous post. I'm scouring for new agents so I may come up with a few relatively new agents so expect further comments.  :wag:

Edit: And by the way, I'm sure that RG is actually a wonderful courteous man who will one day give me a polite rejection. He has just so persistently ignored my queries, I'm forced to joke about it. :wink:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 03:39:20 PM by JeanneT »
Writing and More

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »
That looks official enough for Ann, I'll add her.  I'll look into Friedman as well, that name sounds really familiar.

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »
You know, I didn't check to see if you had her listed with another agency. I just saw that she wasn't in the Stirling Lord list of agents.
Writing and More