Author Topic: What's the take on re-querying?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Duff

What's the take on re-querying?
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »
I've recently read interviews with several agents where it was stated that they don't mind one requery if the letter or manuscript has been substantially updated.

Has anyone ever done this with good results?

The scenario I have in mind is if the agent never requested material/was a no response means no. Though man, would I love another shot at a couple of agents who had a partial. But I won't.

Offline scox

Re: What's the take on re-querying?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
I'm not sure about this one. I've not ever done it but I guess if you had made very significant changes in your query and your manuscript you might could give it one more try but I definitely say that would be it. I'm not sure how others will weigh in on the topic, but I'm interested to see.

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
I've requeried snail when I haven't heard by email. And quite often I'll get a response to that--and sometimes even requests.

I'd say it doesn't hurt. They either ignored it the first time, rejected it without letting you know, or didn't see it. Nothing to lose, really.

SB

Offline rivergirl

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:06:32 PM »
Here's my take.  If you've done a significant revision on your query, they'll never even know if your query crosses their desk a second time.  Some agents claim they read a fifty a day.  There's no harm in trying, assuming it's not your tenth re-send and your making a nuisance of yourself.  though I think I'd wait a few months.

Offline Beckahrah

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »
If I've completely redone the query (which I do quite often) or the MS, then I wait at least 3 months and send it again.  Maybe only 2 months if it's a non-response, because I don't know if they've actually gotten it or are just ignoring me.
Is there some reason a robot made of wax can't take a nap standing up in the middle of a bunch of wax robots, or does that CONFUSE you?

Blog: http://beckah-rah.blogspot.com

Twitter:  http://twitter.com/Beckahrah