Author Topic: someone asked me for a reference  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
someone asked me for a reference
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
I got an email from someone who says my agent requested a full. I'm cool with giving a reference (I've done it in the past) but the person clearly didn't run this by my agent first. When she's cleared it in the past, she's asked me for permission first.

So, my options are
1) give the reference and not tell my agent
2) give the reference and tell my agent
3) tell the person that's really kind of uncool to do this sort of thing (and then either tell or not tell my agent)
4) ignore the writer completely on the grounds that I have no idea who this person is.

BTW, if someone I knew from here were to ask me, I'd answer because we have a prior connection. I think that's fine.
But this is out of the blue.

What say you guys?

BTW, my two year old is on my lap and thinks this guy -->  :rant: is saying he wants food.

Offline Sandbox

Re: someone asked me for a reference
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
I'm confused. If the agent has the full already, why does this writer need a reference? Typically the reference is to get in the door of the agent. Or does she want you to endorse her manuscript (blurb it) ? Do you know her? Have you read her work?

SB

Offline bodwen

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
I think that would depend on the nature of your relationship with your agent.  

If you have nothing but nice things to say about her, I'd say "I'm happy with her" and leave it at that.  If you're not thrilled, or the requestor asked nosy or invasive questions, I wouldn't confide in a faceless stranger.  I'd either ignore her, or tell her that she's jumping the gun a little.

I wouldn't bother the agent with this.

When she's cleared it in the past, she's asked me for permission first.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Does your agent have a policy regarding referrals?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:54:01 PM by bodwen »

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »
I think that would depend on the nature of your relationship with your agent.  

If you have nothing but nice things to say about her, I'd say "I'm happy with her" and leave it at that.  If you're not thrilled, or the requestor asked nosy or invasive questions, I wouldn't confide in a faceless stranger.  I'd either ignore her, or tell her that she's jumping the gun a little.

I wouldn't bother the agent with this.

When she's cleared it in the past, she's asked me for permission first.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Does your agents have a policy regarding referrals?

oh duh. I get it. I agree with Bowden.

Offline rivergirl

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:22:41 PM »
I agree with Bowden too. No harm can ever come from glowing compliments.  Isn't this person getting the cart before the horse?  I thought researching references came after the offer for representation.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:22 PM »
Right, my agent requested this person's full, and the person decided to research her and asked me for a reference. I too thought that should generally come after the phone call, but hey...

The questions were fairly general. I wouldn't call them nosy or invasive, but still a little off-putting.

I don't think my agent has a policy about it, but in the past she's asked me if it would be okay to give my name to someone she was considering and who was considering her. I said yes, and the other writer and I exchanged several emails and followed each other on Twitter and so on. :-)

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 06:20:48 PM »
I think personally, I would respond to someone who I did not know and who the agent did not refer to me with a simple "Im sorry but I dont give references" - but I agree with above in that if you have nothing but great things to say, how could you go wrong?  I would possibly do that, but again keep it vague "I think shes wonderful, good luck with the full!" would be an easy way to blow them off and not answer any questions that can get you into trouble!
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline Magic_Seeker

• My new muse
    • Mantua-Maker, Magic Seeker
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »
I agree with Bodwen, but like Kimmy's vague response: "I think she's wonderful, good luck with the full!"  :up:
Happy writing,
  Deb Salisbury, the Magic Seeker
  http://blog.DebSalisbury.com
  My shops: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MantuaMakerPatterns
  and http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicSeeker Dragons