Author Topic: Critique Partner Auction  (Read 1906 times)

Offline KalenO

• My Blog
Critique Partner Auction
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »
Hey everyone, hope this doesn't construe spamming but I thought some people here might find this interesting.  I'm hosting a 'Critique Partner Auction' on my blog next week, with the deadline for entries this Friday, though I might move that back a day or so if there's sufficient requests for that.  You can read all about it here: 

http://houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com/2011/04/critique-partner-auction-blogfest.html

Basically its an attempt to help writers find and hook up with critique partners that best match their interests and really build excitement at the same time.  To enter you write a query letter about your novel or WIP attempting to 'hook' potential critique partners in the same way you'd try to hook an agent, and then the first 250 words of your MS as a writing sample.  Entries will be separated into three batches according to how far along the MS you enter is (Batch A being 1-33% complete, Batch B 34 - 66% complete and Batch C being 67% to fully completed manuscripts), and then once all the entries are posted publicly on my blog next Monday, entrants will have the opportunity to look through the other entries in the same batch as them, and 'bid' on the entries they like with how many pages they'd like to swap with that author to test if they'd work as potential critique partners.  Again, the big idea is to build excitement - the most effective critique partners are the ones who really fall in love with your manuscript and as such are invested in helping you make it as good as it can possibly be, but so often it seems we (myself included) jump at the first person to offer to take a look at our manuscript, rather than find the best fit.  This way people can have a chance to really gauge who best gets their writing and what they're trying to do, and can really be a full on partner rather than just another set of eyes.  While hopefully letting everyone have some fun with this as well.  Again, my blog post linked above explains it all in more detail, so if you think this is something you might be interested in, take a look and see if you want to shoot an entry my way!
ADAGIO: The Bonnie and Clyde of the future use music and dance to manipulate psychic forces that enable their crimes.  Shenanigans ensue.

A YA Space Opera coming this November.

Offline KalenO

• My Blog
Re: Critique Partner Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »
Just a quick update, the rules for this have been changed slightly and there is still time to participate!  Check it out at http://houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com/2011/04/critique-partner-auction-blogfest_18.html to jump in at any time this week!
ADAGIO: The Bonnie and Clyde of the future use music and dance to manipulate psychic forces that enable their crimes.  Shenanigans ensue.

A YA Space Opera coming this November.