Author Topic: Follow-up with Agents  (Read 1177 times)

Offline trtimm22

Follow-up with Agents
« on: May 01, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
i am looking for some advice and guidance.

last week, i received an call from an agent who had read my full proposal and two sample chapters (non-fiction work). we had a rich 35 minute conversation and the agent asked me to submit a 2-3 page author bio answering the question, why am i the person to write this book. the agent indicated that after receiving this, they should be able to make a decision about representation within 7-10 days.

questions: last month, after an initial query, another agent requested a full proposal and three sample chapters. they have had this for 3 1/2 weeks. is a follow-up nudge appropriate?

what if an agent makes an offer for representation? is it appropriate to contact other agents who have demonstrated some interest with this information?

thanks...

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Follow-up with Agents
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »
Once you have an offer of representation, it's fine to contact every single agent who has your submitted material with the subject line of "UPDATE: OFFER OF REPRESENTATION / Title" and let them know you've got an offer and you want to let them know so they can decide how they want to proceed. (Some will decide not to read your material, btw.)

You don't nudge for other full requests, phone calls, etc. You only send that status update to agents within the six-month zone if you've got an offer on the table and you might take it.

Good luck!

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
Re: Follow-up with Agents
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »
yep i agree. Once you get an offer, then let everyone who has the query or partials or fulls know. But don't nudge until then. good luck!
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website