Author Topic: Question about sending sub to editor who read other work  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
Question about sending sub to editor who read other work
« on: May 08, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »
I met an editor at a conference and she asked for the full. She did the same last year with my first book but rejected. She stated in that letter tofeel free to query her with another manuscript if I had one. Im not sure if I should bother to include that part, because she already asked for the full. Should I add a line saying-

you previously reviewed SS and suggested I submit future works to you..

or not bother because she already asked for the full?
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline B

• Bethany C. Morrow
Re: Question about sending sub to editor who read other work
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:43:47 PM »
If she's requested, I'd go solely on the recent request. Just me!  ;D
Repped by Victoria Marini of IGLA
MEM: a novel (Unnamed Press, May 2018)
TAKE THE MIC: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance (AAL/Scholastic, Fall 2019)
A SONG BELOW WATER (Tor Teen, Winter 2020)
www.BethanyCMorrow.com

Offline HorsebackWriter

• Dream at a gallop!
    • Lefty In My Write Mind
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Kimmy! YAY!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just my own opinion, to give you another perspective, but I'd mention the prior ms. You want to stand out from the other subs, and the previous ms helps you forge a further connection with the editor because you two have "history" together.

Now, I say this because I've seen relationships between writers/agents and writers/editors evolve into representation and offers over time and across ms's.

I know the knee-jerk reaction is that rejections are bad, they say negative things about us, our writing or our work. But the truth is, coming close, rejection or not, is a big deal. We can tend to play it down because it's an R. But the request in the first place means we fit the editor/agents' subjective tastes. And in that situation, being close-almost does matter.

For example, I kept querying the agents that requested partial and fulls that rejected me, (close-almosts) with my next ms, and when I got offers on my ms, some were from these agents.

We take rejection as meaning something negative, but there are times rejection is about more than our writing or ability or talent. Sometimes our ms doesn't fit the current market trends, or perhaps the agent/editor has something similar, or perhaps your MC loves shellfish, and shellfish just made the professional sick for a week.

So, in sum, imho, keep forging relationships with agents and editors who request from you. Something about your writing and talent hit their sweet spot. In my own experience, I never found it to hurt me, to remind them of this.

Em 
Author of IF YOU FIND ME, Carnegie Medal '14 nominee, NYTBR Ed.s' Choice June '13, Booklist Youth Ed.s Choice of '13, YALSA BFYA '14 nominee, CYBILS nominee '13, Goodreads Choice Awards '13 nominee: Best Debut GR Author, Best YA Fiction. Translated into 7 languages. Whew.

http://twitter.com/LeftyWrite

Offline alisonbeightol

• It was a dark and stormy night
    • adventures of the cautionary tale
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 08:29:41 PM »
I would mention it just to jog their memory. They deal with so much but lots of times if you remind them of a contact then they are more likely to read faster. I got a request for a full from Claire Eddy from Tor based on jogging her memory of the story line and an earlier contact. She rejected it eventually but gave AMAZING feedback(it was a very depthy email) and it was the world's best rejection considering who it was from.
Life in Moonlight and Blood of New Beginnings available now on Kindle and Audible.
Death Hunter- November 2018
One Question Before I Go-December 2018