Author Topic: A good rejection  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Sandbox

A good rejection
« on: June 14, 2011, 07:46:16 AM »
I am deep into my revision but have some fulls out there straggling. The other day I received this rejection which I thought was rather sweet.

This novel has lovely moments - you are a good writer.  If it were ten years ago, I'd take this on and run with it; but the market for fiction is now so horrible that I must pass it by. I hope someone else loves it as it should be loved, and sells the hell out of it.  Best luck with it.

I choose to ignore the 10 year part--it just confirms that I need to whip this sucker into shape before I send it out again.

SB

Silence18

Re: A good rejection
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:13 AM »
Wow, I would love for an agent to tell me I'm a good writer! Good for you, Sandbox! I guess there really are silver linings on some clouds, huh?  :)

Offline Amaryllis

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
What a lovely response. It makes me sad to think about the novels that may languish unpublished and unread just because the market is so stinky. Why don't people read anymore?! Argh!

May your revisions take your novel out of that pile and into the hands of the readers still reading!

Offline Duff

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
I love the lovely rejection. I am holding on to mine and re-read the highlights when needed. It's good to be close, as much as it's hard to be close. You know you're not one of those crazy, clueless people who try out for a TV talent show. You're the real deal, working toward your break.

You'll get there. And I'll buy your book. I can't wait.  :up:

Offline HorsebackWriter

• Dream at a gallop!
    • Lefty In My Write Mind
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Sandy }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

That rejection really is lovely. I'm glad, if it had to be a no, that they took the time to honor you and your talent as a writer.

As I always tell you, even your PM's are lovely. I know it's going to happen for you, and I can't wait to march in your Victory Parade. : ) In the meantime, so proud of you for working so hard and hanging in there. You're a true inspiration to the rest of us.

Everything crossed for you as always.

Em
Author of IF YOU FIND ME, Carnegie Medal '14 nominee, NYTBR Ed.s' Choice June '13, Booklist Youth Ed.s Choice of '13, YALSA BFYA '14 nominee, CYBILS nominee '13, Goodreads Choice Awards '13 nominee: Best Debut GR Author, Best YA Fiction. Translated into 7 languages. Whew.

http://twitter.com/LeftyWrite

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »
Thanks Silence, Eager, Duff and HB!

It's slow going, but I'm getting there.  :)

SB

Offline csckaufman

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:52:55 AM »
I agree, lovely rejection.  Keep her positive words in mind as you move forward.
Blog: Guns, Gams, and Gumshoes http://writingpis.wordpress.com/

Offline petmyrhino

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
Ow. So close... Do you really think you need to rewrite it because an agent didn't want to go with it?

I've just gotten the two of my first personalized rejections. One was brief: "reads well" and the other included a few nice words and similar advice... some other agent will love this book, keep trying, and "Think of the Help."

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »
Ow. So close... Do you really think you need to rewrite it because an agent didn't want to go with it?

I've just gotten the two of my first personalized rejections. One was brief: "reads well" and the other included a few nice words and similar advice... some other agent will love this book, keep trying, and "Think of the Help."

Those are nice rejections! Good for you.

I'm not rewriting it because of this agent's comments. I've been at this a while, accumulated several rejections and comments, and realized my book needs work. The best part is one agent wrote me a letter about what she saw lacking--and this made all of the other rejection comments click.  I know what I have to do. So now I'm trying to/going to do it. So far so good!

Good luck to you, petmyrhino :)

SB

Offline lexcade

• Me & Michael Myers. SO COOL!
    • Going from Nobody to Somebody
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:43:45 AM »
I'm glad it wasn't a form :wink: Hope your next round of queries/subs lands you The One!!!
Duality - Edits
WIP: Spark
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)
Back burner: Taming The Ancients

http://lexcade.blogspot.com

Offline hopezpoet

• Who's Bad?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »
That was the nicest rejection I've ever read! :) But she said that the market for fiction is so horrible right now, but isn't that just the opposite? I mean, I know that YA fiction is booming, so does that not count, or is that trend's train slowing rolling to a stop?

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 06:53:18 AM »
That was the nicest rejection I've ever read! :) But she said that the market for fiction is so horrible right now, but isn't that just the opposite? I mean, I know that YA fiction is booming, so does that not count, or is that trend's train slowing rolling to a stop?

My book is adult.

Offline hopezpoet

• Who's Bad?
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 08:55:21 AM »
Ah, okay then. But I still find that kind of strange. To me, fiction of all types has always seemed like a hot trend, but I guess even that is beginning to die down.  :(