Author Topic: A Heartbreaking Work that will break your heart  (Read 3736 times)

Offline edelweiss

• sonjayoerg
A Heartbreaking Work that will break your heart
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »
Dear Ten-Percenter:

I am seeking representation for my me-moir, A HEARTBREAKING WORK OF STAGGERING MONOTONY.  I read in Gloaters Weekly that you represent memoir. (Actually you said “the memoir,” which is pretentious and then some. You haven’t sold memoir at all, have you? Nevermind. I’ve never written a book either.)

A HEARTBREAKING WORK OF STAGGERING MONOTONY begins in Fargo, ND, where I was born a small white child. Saturday nights we drank beer. Sunday mornings we lined up the empties on the fence and had target practice. I moved to LA after I figured out where it was and have lived there since, nearly brushing elbows with countless celebrities whose memoirs will sell a lot better than mine. (Then again you didn’t get those deals, did you?) The story wraps up sometime before I die, but I don’t want to spoil the ending.

I have included the first three chapters (which is just shy of where it really starts moving, but we mustn’t tamper with the gatekeeper’s rules!), as per your guidelines, which state that “the memoir” (gets me every damn time!) is treated like fiction for purposes of submission (and for every other purpose, if you ask me).

I look forward to your reply. Thanks for taking a time out from tweeting to read this.

Clever as a Fox: Animal Intelligence and What It Can Teach Us About Ourselves (Bloomsbury USA, 2001; paperback, Harvard U. Press, 2002)

HOUSE BROKEN, a novel, coming from Penguin/NAL January 2015
THE TRAIL, another novel, coming September 2015
www.facebook.com/SonjaYoerg
Twitter: @SonjaYoerg

Offline mleduc

Re: A Heartbreaking Work that will break your heart
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:55:15 PM »
You get a big laugh from me just because I hated that Dave Egger's book so much.

munley

Re: A Heartbreaking Work that will break your heart
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:20:56 AM »
I actually like the image of lining up the empties on the fence for target practice on Sunday mornings. Makes me wonder if they have any near-misses. You know, the faithful churchgoers ambling by. You could get a real novel out of this.