Author Topic: Nudging an agent  (Read 1156 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
Nudging an agent
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »
Hey all!

What kind of things do you write in your "nudging" letters to agents you haven't heard from? I queried an agent 5/27 who claimed in her submissions guidelines that she usually tries to respond within a week, regardless of her answer. So nudge her after 6 weeks are up? In terms of etiquette, what should I write in the letter if I do?
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Online Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Nudging an agent
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
Don't nudge a query. Just resend the query if you're sure it's a non-response, adding that you hadn't heard back and were afraid it got lost. (Check her QT stats and make sure her current average is within tolerance for how long your query has been out.)

It may be that an intern pulled your query aside to give it extra attention, but you can't know that for sure. (That did happen to me once: I queried Project A; no response, so six weeks later, after I could see the agent was requesting material from the five weeks in between, I queried Project B. The next day I got a request for Project A. I assume the second query reminded the intern about the first one. LOL!)

Nudges on submissions are different, but nudging a query isn't done; it's easier for the agent if you just send the whole thing over again so she doesn't need to go looking for the first one.

Offline Duff

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:29:03 AM »
I just resent the query as if it's the first time I sent it.

Good luck!

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »
yeah, just resend with a sentence along the lines of "this is a requery per your website instructions. The original was sent on (enter date here)"
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
Ok, thanks! Yeah, I was planning on sending the query again, but it helps to know I should mention that I'd already queried.
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com