Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Alniah

HELP!
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
I sent my R&R this am and the agent answered right away asking about the target audience. We had discussed in the past that BTD sounded more for the adult market than YA. So I answered stating I was shooting for the adult audience. Then we emailed back and forth about POV consistency and she gave me some great pointers about my first 100 pages. So I told her I would be fixing a certain character's POV and she said she was swamped this week-end but if I had any questions I could call her next week and we could talk about it.

Now I feel completely deflated. I agree with the changes but I'm scared I'm gonna screw it up again :sad:
Mind you the agent hasn't read the updated version so now I feel she may find even more stuff wrong that I thought I fixed.
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline emel00

• Erin Butler Books
Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Alniah--I understand why you'd be freaking out about the changes you made and whether they'll be enough. But I think you need to focus on the positives! An agent said you could call her!!! CALL HER!! That sounds awesome. I think she liked the fact that you took her pointers from before and revised. This gives you an opportunity to talk to her on the phone and tell her about your revisions. An agent wouldn't waste time unless they saw potential. Maybe she wants to gauge to see how easy you would be to work with. And let's not forget...even if this doesn't turn out to be THE ONE, you are that much closer to getting your perfect one. Her advice will only make your ms even stronger!
BLOOD HEX (YA Paranormal, Evernight Teen, March 2013)
HOW WE LIVED (NA Romance, Entangled Embrace, April 2014)
FINDING MR. DARCY: HIGH SCHOOL EDITION (YA Contemporary, Swoon Romance, September 2014
SPAWN (MG Magical Realism)--WIP

Offline Alniah

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
Thanks emel00! I think I am scared to death to talk to her  :emb2:. She did say to call her if I had questions but besides revising the first 100 pages with the POV pointer in mind. I don't know what else to ask. I guess I don't want to waste her time. Besides, how do you do that kind of thing.

"Hi, my name is so and so and Nicole invited me to give her a call" ?

???
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline islechile

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »
"Hi, my name is so and so and Nicole invited me to give her a call" ?

That sounds good. Maybe say Nicole invited you to call her about a revision you submitted.  You could ask the agent whether there were other problems she saw in the ms, and whether she had suggestions.

I think I'd be anxious too in your place, but I bet she's used to that from writers who call. 

Remember that it's a huge compliment to be asked to call!

Offline Rain

• Rain-On Sentence
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »
Maybe you're deflated because you just spent 2 months revising.  But the agent's words sounded gung-ho positive. Just do the best you can with the pointers you got, and you can't permanently mess things up, because you'll have saved copies of your other versions.  You can do it!   :up:

Offline Marcus River

• Marcus River - Author
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »
I can see only positives here. All the best!!!
 :up:

Offline Alniah

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
Thanks for the encouragements. I think I am going to make the revisions and send the updated version. I may leave the call open in case I need it but I don't want to busy her more than she already is.

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 01:41:22 PM »
ALNIAH, I so hope after all this back and forth that she finally offers! Good luck and just do what you can do - I know you work hard and she must see something good to be spending this time with you! Throwing some fairy dust your way... :clap: :clap: :clap:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:01:16 PM by Kimmy »
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline Magic_Seeker

• My new muse
    • Mantua-Maker, Magic Seeker
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:54:26 PM »
:agree: with Kimmy!  :up:
Happy writing,
  Deb Salisbury, the Magic Seeker
  http://blog.DebSalisbury.com
  My shops: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MantuaMakerPatterns
  and http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicSeeker Dragons

Offline Alniah

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 11:13:54 PM »
Awe thank you so much Kimmy and Magic_Seeker!!! Ya'll are the best  :up: Will keep everyone posted.

Offline B

• Bethany C. Morrow
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »
 :agree: with everyone! This is AWESOME!  :clap: :clap:
Repped by Victoria Marini of IGLA
MEM: a novel (Unnamed Press, May 2018)
TAKE THE MIC: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance (AAL/Scholastic, Fall 2019)
A SONG BELOW WATER (Tor Teen, Winter 2020)
www.BethanyCMorrow.com

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
I agree with everyone else! I mean, i know it's a lot of work and it's hella scary, but the fact that she's willing to work with you at this point means she may be willing to work with you officially at some point too!
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline rmgraudi

• ryan writes
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »
If you have an in with an agent (such as this R&R), do everything in your power to make it work! My manuscript went through a pretty intense R&R with an agent. The resulting product netted me a different agent, but I know that without the improvements it wouldn't have been so.
Good luck!
LUMINANCE HOUR (YA paranormal) HarperTeen, Summer 2013

http://ryangraudin.blogspot.com/

Offline Alniah

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
Quick update: I chickened out (and figured I would save her time) and emailed her with a couple of questions. She was very gracious and answered them. She then said that another concern of hers was the similarities between the Hunger Games and my novel. Not sure how to take it.

I started writing this novel in 2001 (7 yrs before the HG got published).
I am driving myself  :crazy: but I know my book is SO MUCH better since her first comments about it. She is an awesome agent and whoever lands her will be very lucky! I have never heard of an agent taking so much time to help a nobody.

Offline Rain

• Rain-On Sentence
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »
I think you made a good decision to contact her.   :up:
And I understand the frustration with similarities.  I wrote a story years before a movie came out with many of the same elements.  It's very annoying. But maybe avoiding similarities will make a story better.