Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Alniah

Re: HELP!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »
I think you made a good decision to contact her.   :up:
And I understand the frustration with similarities.  I wrote a story years before a movie came out with many of the same elements.  It's very annoying. But maybe avoiding similarities will make a story better. 

The problem is that I don't see the similarities. Yes there is an arena and its a fight to the death but my novel follows genetically engineered gladiators...completely different from the HG.
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline B

• Bethany C. Morrow
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
Hey, Rain and Alniah. Writing a blog post (or posting one I wrote last month, anyway) about that. Every dystopian will apparently be compared to HG and now Divergent, regardless of how different the set-up, characters, plot.

http://wp.me/paYe5-zG
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:54:31 PM by B »
Repped by Victoria Marini of IGLA
MEM: a novel (Unnamed Press, May 2018)
TAKE THE MIC: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance (AAL/Scholastic, Fall 2019)
A SONG BELOW WATER (Tor Teen, Winter 2020)
www.BethanyCMorrow.com

Offline Rain

• Rain-On Sentence
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »
Oh...thanks for explaining.  I haven't read dystopian except for 1984.  That is even more frustrating for you then!   :sad2:

Offline B

• Bethany C. Morrow
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »
Oh...thanks for explaining.  I haven't read dystopian except for 1984.  That is even more frustrating for you then!   :sad2:

And if anybody has read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin? Yeah, we could just say 1984 was too similar to that.  :wink:
TAKE THE MIC: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance (AAL/Scholastic, Fall 2019)
www.BethanyCMorrow.com

Offline Alniah

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
Thanks for the post B. At this point, I'm lost. Trunking might be my only option at this point. I have said that so many times before but everytime something came up that made me keep on. I think I should focus on my new WIP. Maybe this one will work-out  :wink:
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline B

• Bethany C. Morrow
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
I'd hate to see you give up on it now, especially over that. If that agent didn't see unique potential, she wouldn't still be there. Until she bows out, the door's still open. As long as you love the story, keep looking for the agent who does.  :)
www.BethanyCMorrow.com

Offline Chandara

• Elizabeth Arroyo
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:17 PM »
Honestly the comparison to HG is not a bad thing. I could see an explosion in readers and in non-traditional readers wanting to read similar stories especially when the movie comes out.  I mean, I got on the bandwagon with HP and read the books after all the hoopla.

I say sell yourself.

Easier said than done, I know.

Good luck!
"In my view a writer is a writer because even when there is no hope, even when nothing you do shows any sign of promise, you keep writing anyway." Junot Diaz

www.elizabetharroyo.com
twitter @EArroyo5

Offline KalenO

• My Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 10:54:13 PM »
Also remember how a book is received isn't just a matter of the actual content....there's HOW that content is conveyed, there's tone, there's target audience, there's character voice...all of these things can set your book apart.  While there still may be surface similarities just by description of the book, people who've read both will be able to tell the difference, and never forget the power of word of mouth.

After all, if I were to describe a book I read about an orphan boy who goes to a school for wizards and learns magic and rises to greatness, well, we all know I'm talking about Harry Potter, right?

Except, if I were to have described a book I read like that in the mid nineties, everyone would have said I was talking about 'A Wizard of Earthsea' by Ursula LeGuin, a very famous and well regarded novel in its own right, long before Harry Potter came along.  And it certainly didn't impact JK Rowling's success.  ;)
ADAGIO: The Bonnie and Clyde of the future use music and dance to manipulate psychic forces that enable their crimes.  Shenanigans ensue.

A YA Space Opera coming this November.