Author Topic: A Question  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Rain

• Rain-On Sentence
A Question
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »
If agents ask for the first 3-5 pages of your MS with an email sub, do they also want the cover page?  Seems kind of silly for 3-5 pages, but they don't specify...

Offline islechile

Re: A Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »
I always send the cover page along with however many pages they ask for. I could be wrong, but no one's complained yet.

Offline edelweiss

• sonjayoerg
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
I don't send a cover in an email, at least not in the traditional sense. I close the query with my name and all my contact info, including my email. I skip a couple lines, then the title, "By", my name, all on separate lines. Skip a couple lines then Chapter 1 (or Prologue, in my case), skip a couple, then the text, single-spaced, with line breaks between paragraphs and no indenting. Everything left justified. I've read that formatting it that way makes it easier for them to read on the computer or on an e-reader.

Good luck!
Clever as a Fox: Animal Intelligence and What It Can Teach Us About Ourselves (Bloomsbury USA, 2001; paperback, Harvard U. Press, 2002)

HOUSE BROKEN, a novel, coming from Penguin/NAL January 2015
THE TRAIL, another novel, coming September 2015
www.facebook.com/SonjaYoerg
Twitter: @SonjaYoerg

Offline enewmeyer

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
Wish I had read this thread before I just shipped off that last query letter +5.  :eek: Here's another question. Let's say the agent asks for the first 5 pages attached. For me, that would end mid-scene. Is it appropriate to include the rest of the scene even if that pushes it to 6 or 7 pages? Or should I send less and not include that scene? ??? I'm really not sure what to do. Hope someone out there can help.

Offline Rain

• Rain-On Sentence
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
I wouldn't worry about not having read this post, enewmeyer.  If the agents don't have any specific rules to follow, they can't get upset over formatting.  I've read that ending a scene is appropriate...but my personal opinion is that it's better to have a cliff hanger!   :naughty:  Maybe someone with more experience can answer though. 

Offline Steph Campbell

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
I wouldn't consider the cover page as a page.

I wouldn't cut off mid sentence, but I also wouldn't add several more pages just to stop at a certain point. Continue on the paragraph or whatever, but if they ask for 3-5, I think 7 is pushing it...
I write YA (indie pubbed and for Simon & Schuster UK).
http://stephcampbell.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/stephcampbell_
Insta: @_steph_campbell
Rep'd by Jane Dystel of Dystel & Goderich

Offline islechile

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »
Just to clarify what I said earlier- I use a cover page if the sub is an attachment. If it's in the body of the email, I do what edelweiss said.

Offline violet

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:42:02 AM »
Wish I had read this thread before I just shipped off that last query letter +5.  :eek: Here's another question. Let's say the agent asks for the first 5 pages attached. For me, that would end mid-scene. Is it appropriate to include the rest of the scene even if that pushes it to 6 or 7 pages? Or should I send less and not include that scene? ??? I'm really not sure what to do. Hope someone out there can help.

Most agents say to stop where a natural ending occurs. I always sent the first ten and never had a complaint.

Good luck!  :up:

Offline enewmeyer

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
Violet - Do you always send the first 10 even if the agency guidelines say to send less? I've read that some agents avocate sending a writing sample of your ms. even if the agency says to send only the query. I'm sure I'm overthinking this whole query process but I'd hate to piss off an agent by not following directions. Thanks for all the advice!