Author Topic: Sharing Query Letters  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Diowe

• Please. Tell me more.
Sharing Query Letters
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:29:43 PM »
Hi Patrick. Here's a "can you?" question.

I've had a bit of luck with a query letter so I posted it to share. Although the letter worked, the manuscript was rejected. I marked this rejection in My Manuscripts, so when I posted the letter, it showed the "rejected" button. Since I believe the best thing about sharing letters is to view what worked for a particular agent, that little "rejected" button bothered me. If I were another author, I'd assume the letter itself was rejected and wouldn't bother to read it. But that's not completely true. The letter itself got the results I wanted: the full was requested. (Apparently, it's just the manuscript that needs work!) So... is there any way you can add a button which more accurately reflects the success of the letter itself?

This is one of the best features on your site, IMHO, and will be extremely helpful to us all when things get rolling.

Thanks for considering the possibilities for this!

Diowe

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
Re: Sharing Query Letters
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:48:43 PM »
That's a good point.  The original idea would have you mark the query as "Request for read," because that is what the query achieved, and that is all the other members need to know.  But you yourself would want to mark the end result as rejected.  But there is no way to do that, as you pointed out.

I should change "Rejected" to read "Query Rejected", and then add two new levels, "Rejected after Request for manuscript" and "Rejected after Request for partial."  I think I will use the same icons as Request for manuscript, and request for partial, just turn them red.

I'll let you know when it's done.  It may take several days to get to it.

And you get Karma for giving feedback.  :clap:

Offline Diowe

• Please. Tell me more.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:53:47 PM »
thanks! I'm impressed by your speedy replies  :up:

Diowe

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:01:11 PM »
thanks! I'm impressed by your speedy replies  :up:

Diowe

I'm afraid the speedy replies won't last forever.  I'm on vacation from my day job, but it's back to work tomorrow.  :'(

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 10:06:58 PM »
Aha!!! You spoiled me...I'm off all summer...(yes, everyone hates me all across the USA and beyond). :emb2:

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 10:08:33 PM »
Aha!!! You spoiled me...I'm off all summer...(yes, everyone hates me all across the USA and beyond). :emb2:

I should smite you for that.  ;)

Offline justwrite

Nah-nah, Patrick..PS I met a book publisher today..at a waterfall
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »
You wouldn't...would you?
Just because I was smart enough to escape the ratrace and become a professor?

Then I would have to stop promoting your site.  :wag:
For instance, take the publisher I met at a glorious waterfall this afternoon with her family on the border of NY State and Massachusetts .Told her all about your site. In fact I'm going to post a link to her webpage as new thread. yeah, yeah...here in moo-town, NY I manage to meet a freakin book publisher at a waterfall. Too bad they don't take YA...

But they ARE looking for paranormal, sci-fi and fantasy with a romantic twist:

www.crescentmoonpress.com

The woman I met is Marlene. I think she's the owner. She's a really nice down to earth lady, so sub away, fantasy writers!!!

JustWrite (Lisa)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 10:48:32 PM »
No, I wouldn't smite you, though I would like too.  (Hey, the rhyming is back)

As for the publisher you met.  She sounds perfect.  My last book just happens to be a romance about a dead super model who falls in love with the alien who resurrected her.

Offline justwrite

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 10:55:07 PM »
Did you think about smiting me O Powerful Moderator? Did you even give it a passing thought..BECAUSE...Kristin Nelson just sent a rejection for my sample pages.  :'(

In between POSTS!!!

Hey..I'm okay! Onward an upward. But don't ever talk about smiting. You HAVE magic powers and as Spidey says.."with great strength comes great responsibility." (or maybe it was his uncle?  ;D)