Author Topic: I'm working on a new feature  (Read 8124 times)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
I'm working on a new feature
« on: July 13, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
I haven't been very active on the forum for the past week or so because I've been working on a new feature for QueryTracker.  Now that I have a good idea how it will work, I thought I would ask for some opinions and feedback.

I have read about some agents who appreciate it when, in an Email query, a link is provided to a website where the agent can read samples and find out more about the book and the author.  But a lot of people are hesitant to post their work on a public website where anyone can view it.  So, I'm working on a system where authors can post sample chapters, synopsis', character summaries, author bio, writing achievements, stuff like that. But all of it is password protected. I'm calling it an "Author's Showcase".  When you send your query to the agent, include the link to your showcase.  The password is embedded in the link, so the agent does not have to be bothered with entering a password, he/she need only click the link.

Also, authors can create more than one password and hand out a different one to each agent.  Now, when that agent visits your showcase, we can log it and even track all the pages he/she reads.

Certainly, some agents will not want to click your link, that is why you should still include all requested material in your email as well as the showcase link.  Those who want to use it can, those who don't will not have to.

You could include the link in a snail-mail query, but I doubt agents would bother typing it in unless they were VERY intrigued by your query.

Anyway, any feedback?  Does this sound like something you would care to use?

Offline Diowe

• Please. Tell me more.
Re: I'm working on a new feature
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:57:55 PM »
Also, authors can create more than one password and hand out a different one to each agent.  Now, when that agent visits your showcase, we can log it and even track all the pages he/she reads.

Especially love that part! Might even be enough to force me past my fear of equerying (which is saying quite a bit) :up:

Diowe

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 02:03:38 PM »
Wow! You have been busy. What a great feature!!!
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline Lynne

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »
That sounds like a fabulous idea. So people who are hesitant about posting their work for all the world to see will be comfortable providing that for an agent who may be interested. And I love that writers would be able to see when an agent has viewed the work.
 :dance:

And if I'm not mistaken, I get to upload an avatar now!  :ban:

Maybe something with an evil homicidal duck... :!:

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »
Congrats Lynne.   :clap:  Welcome to the world of the mighty Avatar People. I look forward to meeting your duck.

Offline Lynne

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 05:46:41 PM »
Congrats Lynne.   :clap:  Welcome to the world of the mighty Avatar People. I look forward to meeting your duck.

What site did you use to make yours?

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »
I make my own. 

What's wrong with Cookie Monster?

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:55:39 PM »
 :up: Love the avatar, Lynn!

Offline Lynne

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 09:05:02 PM »
I make my own. 

What's wrong with Cookie Monster?
Oh nothing at all is wrong with him; as he said, "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."

Just thinking ahead to when I can make that homicidal evil duck and upload a custom avatar.

Lotheus

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 11:29:38 AM »
MEEE LOOOOVVVVEE COOOOOOOOKKKKKIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!   RRRAARRRRRRMMMMUMUMM!  Crunch crunch crunch!

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 12:28:34 PM »
You are the silliest! Love it.  :)

Offline Lynne

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 11:45:23 PM »
MEEE LOOOOVVVVEE COOOOOOOOKKKKKIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!   RRRAARRRRRRMMMMUMUMM!  Crunch crunch crunch!
:hijack:
Incidentally, taking to your bed with a package of cookies is a good cure for rejection letter depression.

Lilly_Grant

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 05:16:53 AM »
That sounds like a nice feature.  When will it be ready?  Im about to send out some queries but might want to wait for this if its not too far off.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Chelc

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 11:11:26 PM »
This sounds like a wonderful feature.
It may force me to start querying though  :emb:
(haha, isn't that sort of the point of this website?)

Lotheus

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 09:44:31 PM »
Thank you for just now realizing the point of this site ;D  Querying is good for you.  It toughens your skin.