Author Topic: In a pickle  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Alniah

In a pickle
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
Not sure how to approach this event: after a bunch of back and forth and feedback from an agent, I sent her my R&R. A few minutes after my email was sent, she responded asking about POV consistency. We had a few more back and forth emails in which I told her that based on what she was telling me (more feedback), should I bring one of my POV sooner in the first 50 pages. She said : "You can do more Sfax, and introducing everyone w/in the first 50 is fine. My biggest concern is the similarities between your story and the hunger games. If you haven't read that book, you should..." So I sent her a reply telling her that I had read the HG (who hasn't lol) but I had never really looked at both as being similar. However my email was cut in half (PC glitch) and I didn't dare pester her again since.

So my question is this: should I assume she is reading the latest MS I sent her or is waiting on the updated version?

In one of my emails I did ask her if I sould send her the updated version but she never anawered to that part of the email. Any thoughts?

PS It has been a month since our latest email and she is a wonderful agent, very patient and open so far. I just don't want to pester her since I am not one of her clients.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:00:36 AM by Alniah »
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline lovinlife83

• Writeaholic
Re: In a pickle
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
Sounds like there are some communication issues. I think it is worth a quick email to clear it up. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, right! (Cliche I know)  :)

Offline wutheringheights

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »
I agree with lovinlife83. Also, don't be afraid of pestering her. You already have been going back and forth in email. It should be fine.

Offline Alniah

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »
Thank you so much lovinlife83 and wutheringheights ! I wish there was a "Dummies guide" to agent-writer communication.  :emb2:
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
I'm starting to wonder about what she really wants from you to be honest. She has yet to offer rep and has suggested many changes without any indication of where she's headed with this. I agree with the open communication comment. I would email her and say 'i appreciate all of your help in making my novel great but wondered where you feel this is headed' or something. I wish you the best of luck. I know you have put so much effort into this story!
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline Alniah

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »
Here is what I got in response. What do ya'll think?

"Stephanie, I don't see the revised Born to Die in my queue. Have you developed the intro in a way to distinguish it from any Hunger Games scenarios? The premise of HG is a boy and girl from each district fighting to the death. I see almost an identical setup in your story. While I understand that this is more gladiator-esque with subclasses within this world and a sense of slavery, I really want to be sure that you distinguish this enough from HG to avoid any problems down the road."

Offline bodwen

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 01:53:48 PM »
I looked at this a long time ago, but I didn't really get the sense that this was a boy and girl from each district, fighting to the death.  It seemed to me more like the arena from ancient times with slaves trained or bred for combat, only in more of a pay-per-view venue.

Then again, I'm probably the only person here who hasn't read "Hunger Games" (though I have read "Battle Royale")

Offline lovinlife83

• Writeaholic
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
I agree with Bodwen. I don't remember you beginning feeling like Hunger games.

I'm also wondering why she is just coming up with this whole "like the HG issue now" instead of much earlier on if you've been in contact and already submitting revisions.  ???

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
Sounds like she does not have your revision and is now asking you if you have solved this issue about the HG thing. (I haven't read that either) before you send it again.
Point is, do you agree with what she is saying?
Perhaps you could pick up the HG again and read it and see if you can see what she is getting at.
If you don't agree with her, you could write her back and say you just don't see it --ask for more clarification or move on.
If you do agree with her, write her back and tell her you're going to take some time to address those issues and you'll be back in touch.

Sometimes you get an agent who just doesn't get what you're trying to do so they wouldn't be a good match anyway.

SB

Offline bodwen

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
I agree with Sandbox.  You don't want an agent who doesn't get your novel, because an agent who doesn't get it, will not know how to sell it.

Offline Alniah

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
Thank you all for the insight!! It's very confusing. I am going to ask if she can be more precise because in the end it may ring a bell in me. Will keep ya'll posted :up:

Offline Alniah

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
I finally got my R. Her reasons made a lot of sense. She was amazingly patient and answered everyone of my emails. She would be a wonderful agent to have...shame I won't :sad:

Offline bodwen

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »
awww...   :hug:

From what I've seen of your writing it's her loss.

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 06:50:57 PM »
Bummer - so sorry it didn't work out. I know you worked hard for her. But you have talent otherwise she would never have spent all this time on you, so keep querying and get yourself an agent who loves your work! It will happen!
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline Alniah

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys!! Ya'll are the best. She did say: "You're a talented author with a great ability to convey action and emotion on the page." so that didnt make me feel like a complete loser lol.