Author Topic: A (completely crazy) QT request  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Suzy_Q

• myspace page
A (completely crazy) QT request
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
This is probably horribly greedy of me or crossing the lines of decency...  There are a bunch of publishers who accept queries and/or submissions.  And while having an agent is ideal, there is a chance for success by submitting directly to publishers.

Has QT ever considered making a database of publishers?  Maybe on a sister site?  I do realize this would mean an insane workload for the wonderful people who keep this site viable.  (Patrick  :)

Just thought I'd ask.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
Re: A (completely crazy) QT request
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »
Hi Suzy.  It has been considered many times before, but every time I start to look into it I realize just how much work it would actually be, and I run away in fear.  Maybe some day I'll have the chance, but as it stands now there is no way I could do it.  Sorry.

Bettie Sharpe

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »
While it cannot, of course, compare to the Patrickian splendor of QT, there's quite a bit of useful publisher info available here: http://www.agentquery.com/publishing.aspx
:)

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »
While it doesn't even begin to compare to QT, the site I recommend for publisher information is duotrope.com. It has both periodical and novel publishers listed and links to their websites. They make no attempt to separate the good from the bad, though, so you have to do due diligence in making sure that you get a good publisher and a good contract.

A few months ago I sold a novel manuscript directly to a small publisher (Swimmng Kangaroo Books). Before I accepted their offer, I had FIVE (yes, I do mean five) offers from other publishers that I turned down because of their non-standard contracts that contained what I considered insane clauses. And I had at least tried to only submit to publishers that looked legitimate. One wanted the author to provide the cover art, for instance. This is the publisher's job. Another wanted an option on my next novel.  Not.

Anyway, I finally got what I considered a good contract. I wouldn't have gone that route had I considered the novel a possible sale to a major, but because it was short for a fantasy (only 65,000 words) I knew that it wasn't.

So that's my experience and my advise. Hope it helps. :)

If you want to know what a standard contract looks like, SFWA has examples up by the way.
Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More

Bettie Sharpe

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
One wanted the author to provide the cover art, for instance.
Now that's something I'd acquiesce to in a flash. I've already got a beautiful cover ready, designed by my beloved graphics-savvy spouse. (It should only happen!)
:)

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:59:44 AM »
I could have. I have an artist friend who could have done it for me. But it was an unprofessional request and showed a publisher that was not likely to market a novel properly. It was a deal breaker as far as I was concerned.
Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More